Yoshi (JP) (also known as Mario & Yoshi in PAL regions and in Japan as Yoshi no Tamago (ヨッシーのたまご, lit. "Yoshi's Egg") is a game for the NES and Game Boy that stars Yoshi, Mario, and Luigi. The player controls Mario or Luigi as they try to eliminate certain blocks by lining them up with each other. The game was the first to introduce the green dinosaur Yoshi, who has established himself as a common, popular sidekick of Mario ever since.
The game had since been reproduced on Virtual Console for three future-gen consoles in a row, and has even found its way into Nintendo Switch Online service when it was launched in September 2018. This is part of Nintendo's recent initiative of keeping a backlog of old Nintendo Entertainment System games for customers to play on the Switch and explore the early 90s nostalgia.
- Goombas - The popular mushroom shaped enemies from Super Mario Bros.
- Piranha Plants - Originally from Super Mario Bros.
- Blooper - Originally from Super Mario Bros.
- Boo - Originally from Super Mario Bros. 3.
References to other games
- Super Mario Bros. 3 - Mario's sprite from this game appears on the high score board. All of the enemies look identical to their sprites from Super Mario Bros. 3 (with the exception of Piranha Plants)
- Super Mario World - Yoshi's many forms and the Piranha Plants' design are from this game.
References in later games
- Pokémon Red and Blue - A portion of the Star theme sounds identical to the first few notes of the Pokémon Center theme used in that game. This is evidenced in the Game Boy version.
- Super Mario Bros. Deluxe - The image that appears when Yoshi is brought to Toad after hatching him is similar to the image in the title screen of the NES version.
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - A demo of the game can be played after beating Classic Mode with Yoshi in Intensity 2.0 or higher.
Pre-release and unused content
|Nintendo Puzzle video games|
|Dr. Mario||Dr. Mario • 64 • Online Rx • Express • Dr. Luigi • Miracle Cure • World|
|Puzzle League||Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) • Pokémon Puzzle League • Pokémon Puzzle Challenge • |
Planet Puzzle League (Express)
|Picross||Mario's Picross • Super Picross • Picross 2 • Picross DS • Picross 3D • Picross 3D: Round 2 • Pokémon Picross • My Nintendo Picross|
|Compilation||Tetris & Dr. Mario • Dr. Mario & Puzzle League • Nintendo Puzzle Collection|
|Other Games||Alleyway • Kirby's Avalanche • Mario & Wario • Pokémon Trozei! • Pokémon Battle Trozei|
Puzzle & Dragons • Wario's Woods • Wrecking Crew • Wrecking Crew '98 • Yoshi • Yoshi's Cookie
|Related||Tetris • Puyo Puyo • Columns|
|Main series||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995, SNES) • Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (1995, SNES) • Yoshi's Story (1997, N64) • Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (Universal Gravitation) (2004, GBA) • Yoshi Touch & Go (2005, DS) • Yoshi's Island DS (2006, DS) • Yoshi's New Island (2014, 3DS) • Yoshi's Woolly World (2015, Wii U) • Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (2017, 3DS) • Yoshi's Crafted World (2019, Switch)|
|Spin-offs||Yoshi (Mario & Yoshi) (1991, NES) • Yoshi's Cookie (1992, SNES) • Yoshi's Safari (1993, SNES) • Kuruppon Oven de Cookie (1994, Super Famicom) • Tetris Attack (1995, SNES)|