The Yoshi series consists of puzzle and platformer games that is a spin-off of the Super Mario franchise, starring the green dinosaur, Yoshi. Although the primary character of the Yoshi series is Yoshi himself, Baby Mario and the other baby characters often feature in the games, riding on Yoshi's back.
HistoryThe series' main character, Yoshi the cute little dinosuar, first appeared in Super Mario World for the SNES. The game was popular for multiple reasons, though the introduction of Yoshi is one of the more notable events that occurred in the game. Nintendo later made a sequel to the game which can arguably be considered a Yoshi title rather than a Mario title, seeing as how Yoshi is the star while Mario is a secondary character.
List of Games
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995, SNES)
- Yoshi's Story (1997, Nintendo 64)
- Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (2004, Game Boy Advance) - Known as Yoshi's Universal Gravitation in other regions
- Yoshi Touch & Go (2005, Nintendo DS)
- Yoshi's Island DS (2006, Nintendo DS)
- Yoshi's New Island (2014, Nintendo 3DS)
- Yoshi's Woolly World (2015, Wii U)
- Yoshi's Crafted World (2018, Nintendo Switch)
- Yoshi (1991, NES/Game Boy)
- Yoshi's Cookie (1992, NES/Game Boy; 1993, SNES)
- Yoshi's Safari (1993, SNES)
- Tetris Attack (Yoshi no Panepon in Japan) (1996, SNES/ Game Boy)
The series has received criticism for being too "childish", particularly Yoshi's Story, which was also deemed "too easy". Regardless, the Yoshi series continues to be popular with Nintendo fans of all ages.
Yoshi's popularity has led to the use of him in all spinoff games thus far, sometimes in all his colors. Super Smash Bros. Melee has a a Yoshi's Story themed stage while Super Smash Bros. Brawl has a Yoshi's Island DS themed stage. A Yoshi's Woolly World stage, Woolly World, appears in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Yoshi has a Crafted World skin in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.