Tabuu is the primary antagonist of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He is a mysterious and supernatural blue organism, who is forced to be resided in Subspace and leads the Subspace Army to break apart the World of Trophies to his dimension, where he absorbs their power to increase his own. If Tabuu get succeeded, his next target could be the rest of the Nintendo universe. His alignment is Lawful Evil. The heroes face him in the Great Maze.
Going through the story, one got the idea that the Master Hand was behind the acts of the Subspace Army, giving order to Ganondorf. It was eventually discovered that the Master Hand was being controlled by Tabuu with yellow chains. He defeated Ganondorf and the Master Hand with ease and turned everyone into trophies. Likely though, thanks to the efforts of King Dedede, Ness, and Luigi, everyone was restored and they faced off against Tabuu. Just as Tabuu was about to strike another devastating blow, Sonic the Hedgehog zooms in, and joins the others in one epic battle against him.
Tabuu's name could be a pun on the word "Taboo", which means something unacceptable or improper by society's terms. Tabuu is one of Nintendo's most powerful antagonists.
Tabuu Tabuu's standard trophy can be gained by hitting his body with a Trophy Stand.
- "The ruler of Subspace and master of operations. Tabuu controls Master Hand with chains of light to excise this world and build up his great maze. He used Shadow Bugs to form Subspace and manipulates the servants of Master Hand to his heart's content. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu...No name is more suitable."
Winged Tabuu Tabuu has a second trophy that depicts his wings being unfurled, which can be obtained by defeating him on Boss Battles with all characters.
- "Tabuu with wings extended. The dreadful energy surges cast from these wings instantly turn all fighters back into trophies. Knowing this, King Dedede assembles all able-bodied troops and sets a timed device on each of them. This device is a brooch that, after the designated time runs out, revives all fighters wiped out by Tabuu."
Attacks and Strategy
Tabuu is fought in a stage that resembles Final Destination. He mainly moves by teleporting.
- Off-waves: Tabuu teleports to the backdrop and his wings unfold, releasing three powerful surges in their full state. This can be dodged only through dodges. This move is Tabuu's signature move.
- Side Spear: Tabuu transforms into a shark-shaped spear, charging through the playable plane. Note that his "heart" becomes the spear's eye.
- Diving Slash: Tabuu pulls out a pink sword from Hammerspace and performs a divebomb slash. This can be avoided by jumping.
- Golden Bracket: Tabuu transforms into a golden energy cage that resembles two brackets with his heart at the top. Tabuu then slides across the stage, grabbing characters who do not avoid his charge, then slamming anyone who gets caught.
- Chain of Light: Tabuu pulls out the Chain of Light and tries to grab the player. On a hit, Tabuu slams the player into the floor (or that player's allies if there is one).
- Lightning Shield: Tabuu teleports near the player and turns his heart into a shield that splits into electrical lightning balls that orbit him and then re-amalgamate inside his torso as the attack ends.
- Pinpoint Explosion: Tabuu teleports to one side of the stage and points forward, with a line of sparkles emanating from his hand. That line explodes into flames a second later.
- Self-projection: Tabuu sends copies of his body flying towards the outer directions. These duplicates explode if something blocks their way.
- Rapid Claw: Tabuu teleports near the player and chops repeatedly.
- Dark Cannon: Tabuu pulls out a Dark Cannon, then fires a laser. This can be avoided by jumping.
- Bullet Rain: This works similar to Dharkon's Thorn Spray: Tabuu fires energy bullets downards from his hands, finishing with an even bigger bullet that deals way more damage and knockback and explodes.
- Shuriken Boomerang: Tabuu throws a boomerang forwards. It then returns to his hand. This can be avoided by jumping.
- Eye Lasers: Tabuu grows huge and fires lasers torwards the stage from his eyes.
When defeated, Tabuu spirals into the background.