Super Nintendo World is a themed area under construction in Universal Studios Japan, with plans to expand to Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal's Epic Universe, and Universal Studios Singapore.
On May 4, 2015, Nintendo announced a partnership with Universal Parks & Resorts to expand its brand following yearly declines in gaming revenue and console market share. In 2016, more details about the deal were revealed: Universal Parks & Resorts could develop dedicated "Super Nintendo World" areas based on popular Nintendo IPs in its theme parks. Furthermore, the first land would be constructed in Universal Studios Japan with plans to complete it by the 2020 Summer Olympics. Universal Studios Hollywood was also confirmed to receive its own Super Nintendo Worlds, though an opening date is currently unknown. In April 2019, Resorts World Sentosa announced that Super Nintendo World would come to Universal Studios Singapore. In January 2020, officials from Universal Orlando Resort confirmed that Super Nintendo World would be constructed at the resort's new theme park, Universal's Epic Universe, with plans to open the park in 2023.
Universal Studios Japan
On June 8, 2017, construction on Super Nintendo World began with an official groundbreaking ceremony. It was confirmed that the area will consist of a Mario-themed section with a Mario Kart-themed ride. Leaked concept art also showed plans for a Donkey Kong coaster inspired by the minecart levels found in the Donkey Kong Country games, as well as a Yoshi-themed omnimover ride.
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal's Epic Universe
Universal Studios Singapore
- Villas-Boas, Antonio (May 7, 2015). "Nintendo's huge new deal with Universal shows just how far it'll go to turn the ship around". Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-partnered-with-universal-studios-2015-5. Retrieved on May 15, 2019.
- Pallotta, Frank (May 7, 2015). "Nintendo and Universal power up for theme park attractions". CNN Business. CNN. https://money.cnn.com/2015/05/07/media/nintendo-theme-park/. Retrieved on May 15, 2019.
- Ashcraft, Brian (March 5, 2016). "First Details on Nintendo's Universal Studios Collaboration". Kotaku. https://kotaku.com/first-details-on-the-nintendos-universal-studios-collab-1763022664. Retrieved on May 15, 2019.
- McWhertor, Michael (December 12, 2016). "Nintendo's first Universal Studios park attraction is called Super Nintendo World". Polygon. https://www.polygon.com/2016/12/12/13917504/super-nintendo-world-nintendo-universal-studios-japan-park-attraction. Retrieved on May 15, 2019.
- Wood, Donald (January 24, 2020). "Super Nintendo World Confirmed for New Universal Theme Park". Travelpulse. https://www.travelpulse.com/news/entertainment/super-nintendo-world-confirmed-for-new-universal-theme-park.html. Retrieved on February 10, 2020.