Super Mario Galaxy
They usually appear when a ? Coin is collected, although the ones in the Gold Leaf Galaxy are an exception to this as they appear when the player uses the Star Cursor to ring a bell. They will then line up, and Mario must collect them all before they disappear to receive a prize, such as a 1-Up Mushroom. The background music is muted while the notes are active. Each note makes a different sound, and together they usually form a jingle or tune from a different game in the Mario series. In some levels, Mario has to collect them all to receive a Power Star, such as in the Hurry-Scurry Galaxy, the Gold Leaf Galaxy, and the Sea Slide Galaxy.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario Odyssey
Rainbow Notes are activated by a rainbow-colored treble clef appearing in the Sand Kingdom, the Desert Oasis, the Jaxi maze, Tostarena Town - and the Metro Kingdom, only playing chromatic scales instead of a melodies. Collecting all Rainbow Notes in a set awards a Power Moon.
Themes that Rainbow Notes play
- The chromatic scale (only in the Super Mario Galaxy games and Super Mario Odyssey)
- The underground theme from Super Mario Bros. (only in Super Mario Galaxy)
- The underwater theme from Super Mario Bros.
- The bonus area theme from Super Mario World
- The first few notes of the Super Mario Bros. 3 athletic theme (only in Super Mario 3D Land)