Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (JP) is the sequel to the 2003 role-playing game Pokémon Colosseum for the Nintendo GameCube. The game takes place once again in the Orre region. Your character starts off with an Eevee.
The story for the game begins 5 years after the events of Pokémon Colosseum with the introduction of a new main protagonist named Michael, who goes out to defeat the Cipher syndicate and their mysterious XD001 project.
Changes from Colosseum
The game is notably different from Pokémon Colosseum.
- The main character is a child rather than a teenager.
- The main character is an average trainer instead of an ex-convict.
- In addition to new locations, some old locations have been changed.
- Saving is now possible anytime instead of at PCs.
- A special headset is provided for viewing Shadow Pokémon instead of having a "gifted" partner. This solves the problem of your partner getting in the way.
- The main character uses a motorised scooter instead of a modified motorbike.
- There are special places where wild Pokémon can be attracted using bait.
- The areas have been redesigned somewhat.
- "Hyper Mode" has been changed into "Reverse Mode." Changes include the removal of the heightened critical hit probability. Also, the afflicted Pokémon gets hurt every turn.
- Calling a Pokémon when not asleep or in Reverse Mode now raises accuracy.
- There is now a machine designed to purify multiple Pokémon at once. The old Shrine is still usable, though.
- Hidden items are now made noticeable using a shine effect.
- The television graphic now distinguishes between a repeat story and a new one.
- The starter Pokémon is now Eevee instead of Espeon and Umbreon. The trainer now has the ability to choose into what to evolve Eevee.
- The trainer is initially treated as a beginner and is provided with basic info at the start of the game.
- The Pokéball no longer has a guaranteed "first jiggle" upon catching a Pokémon.
- Miror B. makes a reappearance, his function in this game being the giving a player another opportunity of Snagging a missed Shadow Pokémon.
- Instead of one consistent partner, the protagonist gets several partners throughout the game.
- Realgam Tower is now a more varied Colloseum, giving the player new options including Battle Bingo and Sim Battles.
- The process of purifying Pokémon has been altered somewhat.
- Some of the battles are Single battles.