Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen (JP) are the enhanced remakes to the original Japanese Pokémon games (Pokémon Red and Green). Because of this, the game features the same Pokémon and storyline as the original games, giving them a nostalgic touch. They also feature many of the newer features of Pokémon, as well as an obvious graphical upgrade from the original Game Boy graphics. Pokémon Green had previously been a Japan exclusive, being replaced by Pokémon Blue in the US. Regardless, the Green remake was chosen for the US editions.
- Pressing L or R brings up a help menu. The Game Boy and Game Boy Color did not have L/R buttons.
- The graphics have been updated to 16-bit, having previously been 8-bit.
- New Pokémon were added, and the attacks for all pokémon were updated.
- All the glitches in the original games were fixed.
- Much of the dialogue was updated.
- Although the latest console at the time of release was the GameCube, an NES can be found in front of the player at the game start.