Players take place in a fictional location called Misty View Steam Meadow Park. They battle through Day, Night, Pool, Fog, and Roof levels. They use various types of plants, like Peashooters, Sunflowers, Split Peas, Planterns, Repeaters, and many more. Then, when they get a new plant, they go to a next level. They can use
lawn mowers once, but if a Zombie enters the house, they lose. There are 49 plants and 26 zombies in the game. Versus Mode was added in the DS version, but two of them can only play this mode. There are new mini-games, including Heat Wave, Homerun Derby, BOMB! All Together and Air Raid. Unlike tapping in the Apple Phone versions, they added Zen Garden and Puzzle Mode.
- Big Trouble, Little Zombie was replaced by Heat Wave, due to the fact that it would make it too small for the player to see the zombies.
- Zen Garden was removed in the DSiWare version, along with Versus Mode.
- Jack-in-the-Box Zombies always explode after going three to four squares, while in the others, they explode after going through 8 squares.
- Three Spikeweeds no longer kill zombies.
- The game has bad framerate.
- The Wall-nut goes up and down, while in the others, they tilt.
- The Potato Mine, Jalapeno, Doom-shroom and Corn Cob have the same exploding sound of a Cherry Bomb.
- The achievements have their names changed.
- The Zombologist and Morticulturalist have been in a separate simple thing was called Book Learner, however, it require the Zombie Yeti and Upgrades.
- The Scaredy-Shroom sleeps with its eyes open, while in the others, it doesn't.
- The game has in-game achievements exclusive to this version.
- The Cob Cannon shoot its projectile significantly slower, and thus needs to be fired a few tiles ahead.
- The Shop is found in the "More Ways to Play" section, rather than in the main menu in other versions.
- The games can only upgrade to 9 seed slots, due to the size of the screen. It also shares this difference with the mobile ports.
- The Zen Garden is structured differently than other versions.
IGN gave the DS version a 8.0 and the DSiWare 7.7
As of May 8th, 2012 the Nintendo eShop has stats on downloadable content, and Plants vs. Zombies did very well. It was the 2nd best selling DSiware game, behind Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! and 9th place overall in the eShop.
It did well with user ratings as well, which you can also see in the eShop. It came in 6th overall, and 2nd place for DSiWare, this time behind Cave Story