A Piranha Plant is an enemy in the Mario series. The Piranha Plant is a large plant with a round head and a mouthful of teeth that will pop out of a pipe usually. Its first appearance was in Super Mario Bros. where it would pop out of a pipe. These were green colored plants that wouldn't come out if the player stood directly next to the pipe. In Super Mario Bros. 2, a red variant was introduced. These were faster and would always pop out whether or not Mario stood next to or over a pipe. Though they are usually in pipes, they sometimes aren't, such as in Super Mario 64 where all the Piranha Plants are on ground.
In Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, the player would have to throw eggs at its head a certain amount of times until it would die depending on what color it is. Some Piranha Plants can also shoot fireballs out of their mouths, and this type of plant is called a Venus Fire Trap.
In addition to the Mario platformer games, the species have also appeared as obstacles in Mario Sports, such as in the Mario Kart series and Mario Superstar Baseball where they would try to bite anything that came near them.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In the November 1st Smash Direct, Piranha Plant was announced as a pre-order bonus and as free DLC until January 31st. Piranha Plant would be released on January 29th, 2019.
Piranha Plant variants
- Wild Piranha Plant: These overgrown Piranha Plants will grow anywhere to snap at nearby plumbers and Yoshis.
- Venus Fire Trap: These are fire spewing Piranha Plants.
- Piranha Giganticus: Just a bigger version of the Piranha Plant.
- Ptooie: These run along the ground throwing spiked balls in the air.
- Jumping Piranha Plant: These Piranha Plants jump out of their pipe.
- Wild Ptooie Piranha: These spew out balls and take three hits to kill.
- Blow Hard: This cactus-like plant spews balls like the Ptooie Piranha but is only paralyzed when hit.
- Hootie the Blue Fish: These fish-like piranha plants reside in sewers and travel forward like spike tops.
- Bungee Piranha Plant: This purple Piranha Plant will drag down and eat Yoshi when he passes below it.
- Putrid Piranha: Found in the Paper Mario series, this Piranha Plant will poison Mario.
- Prickly Piranha Plant: Found in the Super Mario Galaxy games, it is a larger purple variety with a spiked stem.
- Spiky Piranha Plant: Similar to a Prickly Piranha Plant except black with a spiky head. Only defeated through the Stretch Plants.
- Inky Piranha Plant: A black variety that spits ink at the screen, introduced in Super Mario 3D Land.
- Bone Piranha Plant: An undead variant of the species introduced in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
Notable Piranha Plants
|Major villains||Donkey Kong | Bowser | Foreman Spike | Wart | Koopalings (Ludwig von Koopa | Lemmy Koopa | Roy Koopa | Iggy Koopa | Wendy O. Koopa | Morton Koopa Jr. | Larry Koopa) | Tatanga | Virus | Wario | Kamek | Baby Bowser | Smithy | Big Bob-omb | Whomp King | Waluigi | King Boo | Shadow Mario | Petey Piranha | Bowser Jr. | Cackletta | Fawful | Antasma | Sir Grodus | Lord Crump | Shadow Queen | Princess Shroob | Count Bleck | Dimentio | Pom Pom | Boom Boom | Bowser Soul | Topper | Hariet | Rango | Spewart | Madame Broode|
|Minor villains||Blooper | Bob-omb | Boo | Bullet Bill | Buzzy Beetle | Chain Chomp | Cheep Cheep | Dry Bones | Goomba | Hammer Bros. | Koopa Paratroopa | Koopa Troopa | Lakitu | Magikoopa | Monty Mole | Ninji | Piranha Plant | Pokey | Shroob | Shy Guy | Snifit | Spiny | Thwomp | Whomp | Wiggler|