New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was released on January 11, 2019. It is a port of New Super Mario Bros. U for the Nintendo Switch and includes all the content of the original version as well as the New Super Luigi U expansion. The port also adds additional characters to play as.
Includes 164 courses for up to four players.
Differences from the original game
- Toadette is now a playable character
- She has an exclusive power-up, the Super Crown, which allows her to transform into Peachette (who can float and double jump)
- Toadette has the swimming properties of the Penguin Suit
- Toadette is less slippery than the other characters
- In both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U, the clock starts with an additional 100 seconds when either Toadette or Nabbit are being used
- Yellow Toad and Blue Toad share the same character slot and are referred to as "Toad"
- Because of this, Toadette replaces Blue Toad in the game's cutscenes
- You can play as any character in the single-player modes of both Mario U and Luigi U (except Mario in Luigi U)
- Toadette and Nabbit are labeled as "Easier" and "Easiest" respectively when choosing a character in the selection menu
- When playing as Nabbit in single-player, completed level spaces turn purple
- Mario replaces Luigi for the Super Guide when playing as Luigi (singleplayer) in Mario U
- Nabbit has new voice clips and can now carry objects
- The game is incompatible with Miiverse, as the service is not supported on the Switch
- Boost Mode challenges are removed as they required the Wii U GamePad in the original game
- Buttons can be remapped during levels (on the pause menu)
- Several of the power-ups in Toad Houses have been changed, with the Super Crown replacing the Super Star in some instances and 3-Up Moons replacing the 1-Up Mushroom in others
Princess Peach is held captive in her castle by Bowser, Bowser Jr., and the Koopalings who invaded and used a giant mechanical arm to throw Mario, Luigi, and the Toads far away. Mario and friends must now travel across this new land returning to Peach's Castle to save her.
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe received favorable reception from critics, though slightly less than the original game. It was praised for Toadette's addition as a playable character and the new content such as the Super Crown but was criticized for its graphics being similar to the original game, as well as a general lack of major gameplay differences. It received a score of 80 on Metacritic.
As of March 2019, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe sold over 3.31 million copies immediately making it the eighth-most successful Nintendo game on the platform. The game reached 4.10 million units sold by the end of July 2019.
|Main article: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe/gallery|