NBA 2K13 is a basketball video game developed by Visual Concepts and published by 2K Sports. It was released on October 2, 2012 in North America for the Wii. A version for the Wii U was also released as a launch title in North America. It is the last NBA 2K game to be released for the Wii and the only game in the series to be released for the Wii U.
Around mid-June 2012, 2K Sports announced a 'Uncover the Cover' where the more tweets #NBA2K13 got the more clues would be revealed about the cover athletes. Two of the legends from NBA 2K12 have been removed: Julius Erving and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. On May 3, 2012, 2K Sports announced that as a bonus for pre-ordering the game, buyers would receive downloadable content for an All Star Weekend, which would feature the Slam Dunk Contest, Three Point Contest, Rising Stars Challenge, and the NBA All Star Game. Also a shoe creator was developed, featuring designs from Nike, Air Jordan, Adidas, Spalding, Reebok, Converse, Under Armour, and generic shoes available to create and edit.
Jay-Z serves as executive producer of the game. He has been credited with the idea of having both the 1992 and 2012 United States men's national basketball teams in the game. Additionally, he appeared in an introduction, picked songs for the game's soundtrack and contributed to the design of its in-game menus "and other visual elements".
Initially, former Bulls star Scottie Pippen (Michael Jordan's and Dennis Rodman's teammate) was left out of the game, due to the inability to secure use of his likeness. However, after widespread disappointment from fans over his absence, he was then added to the team roster.
Curated by Jay Z
|Jay Z||Pump It Up Freestyle|
|Jay Z||The Bounce|
|Jay Z||Public Service Announcement|
|Kanye West||Mercy ft. Big Sean, Pusha T, 2 Chainz|
|Kanye West||We Major|
|Mobb Deep||Shook Ones|
|Nas||The World Is Yours|
|Puff Daddy||Victory ft. The Notorious B.I.G., Busta Rhymes|
|Dirty Projectors||Stillness is the Move|
|Too $hort||Blow the Whistle|
|The Hours||Ali In the Jungle|
|Roy Ayers||We Live In Brooklyn Baby|
|Eric B. & Rakim||I Ain't No Joke|
|Jay Z, Rihanna||Run This Town|
|Jay Z||On to the Next One|
|Coldplay||Viva la Vida|
|Daft Punk||Around the World|
NBA 2K13 has received critical acclaim and has a Metacritic score of 94 out of 100. IGN gave it a 9.4 out of 10 and said that "Even when left with a clear, unobstructed path to the basket, 2K13 throws down a monster jam with this year's edition," and that "It's obviously the best hoops game out there, and it might even be the best sports game of all, period." GameSpot scored the game a 9.4 of 10 saying that "Enhanced realism and a great new control setup make NBA 2K13 a fantastic recreation of pro hoops". Game Revolution gave the game a 4.5 out of 5 and said that, "There is no doubt that NBA 2K13 is one for the ages. Without any other true competitors to stand in its way, the sky is the limit. If you haven't already picked up a copy, you are sorely missing out. I can't ever truly say if a game is worth $60, but with this one, it might be worth even more." GameTrailers gave it a 9.4 out of 10.
However, Joystiq and GamesRadar gave the game mixed reviews. Both publications lauded the game's on-court experience, while criticizing the game modes. Joystiq called the My Career and My Team modes "uninspired and lazy" while GamesRadar lamented the absence of the Jordan and Greatest challenges modes from the previous installments.
- Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder, Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers, and Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls are the cover athletes.
- The game was executive produced by rapper Jay-Z, who designed the game and curated its soundtrack.
- ↑ http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/05/30/all-star-weekend-coming-to-nba-2k13-as-pre-order-exclusive-wii-u-version-to-release-in-console-launch-window
- ↑ http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1441744-nba-2k13-how-to-unlock-under-armour-torch-shoe
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/michael-vs-lebron-fans-can-see-it-with-1992-dream-team-2012-olympic-squad-in-nba-2k13-video/2012/08/15/bb743366-e702-11e1-9739-eef99c5fb285_story.html
- ↑ http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/01/tech/gaming-gadgets/jay-z-nba2k13
- ↑ http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19079364
- ↑ http://kotaku.com/5938553/scottie-pippen-changes-his-mind-and-will-appear-on-the-dream-team-in-nba-2k13
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/480678/jay-z-scores-u2-kanye-west-for-nba-2k13-soundtrack
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/nba-2k13-review
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/nba-2k13/reviews/nba-2k13-review-6398204
- ↑ http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/nba-2k13
- ↑ http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/09/nba-2k13-review/
- ↑ http://www.gamesradar.com/nba-2k13-review
- ↑ https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nba-2k13-cover-athletes-blake-griffin-kevin-durant-113859069--nba.html
|2K Sports games|
|MLB series||2K6 • 2K7 • 2K8 (All-Stars) • 2K9 (All-Stars) • 2K10 • 2K11|
|NBA series||2K2 • 2K3 • 2K10 • 2K11 • 2K12 • 2K13 • 2K18 • 2K19 • 2K20|
NBA 2K Playgrounds 2
|NHL series||2K9 • 2K10 • 2K11|
|Top Spin series||Top Spin 2 • Top Spin 3 • Top Spin 4|
|WWE series||WWE 2K18|
|PGA Tour series||PGA Tour 2K21|