The Mystery Mushroom is a new power-up in Super Mario Maker that changes the appearance of Mario to a different character in 8-bit form. The power-up is exclusive to the Super Mario Bros. theme as a replacement for the Super Leaf/Cape/Propeller Mushroom in the other themes. When worn, it is called Costume Mario.
The Mystery Mushroom is functionally the same as a regular Super Mushroom. However, the Mystery Mushroom does not affect his size too much, keeping him tiny. When just placed normally, the Mushroom will give the player a random costume. Selecting a character from its menu will make that character always appear from that Mystery Mushroom.
Each of the costumes have their own animations, death jingle, end level jingle, and most have their own sound effects. Each costume also has their own pose that can be performed by moving the joystick upwards.
List of Costumes
Costumes are in the same order as the in-game menu. The unlock method is the method without amiibo. Unless specified, the unlock method indicates what level of difficult of the 100 Mario Challenge that needs completion. All costumes after 101 are unlocked via complete certain event courses. The amiibo column indicates if the respective amiibo can be used to unlock the costume
- Originally, the costumes were called Mystery Suits though this name changed in the final game.
- Despite being costume number 112, the Sky Pop costume and the level in which it was introduced were released after costumes 113 to 118.
- Similarly, the Event Course costumes 129 to 131 were released after Wolf Link (unlocked by amiibo) and the 100 Mario Challenge costumes 133 to 144, which were released with the 1.40 game update.
- In the amiibo compatibility list on the official Nintendo website, the Wolf Link amiibo is not marked as compatible for Super Mario Maker, which is incorrect.
- Before the version 1.41 patch was released on March 17, 2016, in the English versions of Super Mario Maker, the Wolf Link costume text was in Japanese.
- Along with the Wolf Link event course, an event course for a Mary O. costume was released, with "test" as its title and description, implying an error concerning a premature release of the course. It was soon removed from the server, but was still playable in the time it was up, granting the players the costume early
- Wolf Link is currently the only Event Course costume that can alternatively be unlocked by scanning an amiibo.
- The only amiibo that do not yet have a matching costume are: Ryu, Roy, Shovel Knight, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner and all the amiibo cards that aren't of existing characters that have costumes.