Monolith Soft is a first party Nintendo developer purchased by Nintendo in 2007. Prior to the buyout, Namco Bandai owned a majority of the company. Originally Nintendo only purchased 80% of Namco Bandai's 96%, but in 2011 they bought out the rest. Company President Hirohide Sugiura and lead designers Tetsuya Takahashi and Yasuyuki Honne each also own a limited number of shares.
In 2011, Nintendo expanded Monolith Soft, and created a smaller branch of the company in Kyoto, so that they could work more closely with Nintendo. Yasuyuki Honne was made head of this branch, and their first game was Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which was released in Japan on November 8, 2012. Outside of co-developing Nintendo software, Monolith Soft Tokyo is also creating original software for Nintendo systems.
In September 2017, they opened Nakameguro GS studio. In June 2018, they opened fourth studio in Iidabashi.
List of games
As a third party developer
- Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - GameCube (co-developed with tri-Crescendo)
- Baten Kaitos Origins - GameCube (co-developed with tri-Crescendo) (First game published by Nintendo)
- Xenosaga: Episode I & II - Nintendo DS
As a first party studio
- Soma Bringer - Nintendo DS
- Disaster: Day of Crisis - Wii
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (co-developed with Banpresto) - Nintendo DS
- Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans - Nintendo DS
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED (co-developed with Banpresto) - Nintendo DS
- Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii
- Project X Zone - Nintendo 3DS
- Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U
- Project X Zone 2 - 3DS
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo Switch
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Wii
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Wii U / Nintendo Switch