Metroid (JP) is a series of video games that debuted with the Nintendo Entertainment System sidescroller Metroid in 1986. The initial game was created by Game Boy creator Gunpei Yokoi and would spawn a multitude of sequels on various consoles.
The original titles were sidescrollers that infused an exploration aspect and shooting elements. All of the games star Samus Aran - the first major female human protagonist in all of video gaming. The primary antagonists of the series are the Space Pirates. The Prime subseries are first person games that take place between and Super Metroid
In all there are thirteen video games, with the latest being Metroid: Samus Returns, a remake of the Game Boy game. In all, the series has sold a total of over 16 million copies, with each new game earning a reasonable score (the highest rated overall are Super Metroid and Metroid Prime with a score of 96% on Gamerankings.com).
The series also includes a manga. Multiple action figures have been created as well.
List of Official games
- Metroid - Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom Disk System (1986)
- Metroid II: The Return of Samus - Game Boy (1991)
- Super Metroid - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1994)
- Metroid Fusion - Game Boy Advance (2002)
- Metroid Prime - Nintendo GameCube (2002)
- Metroid: Zero Mission - Game Boy Advance (2004)
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Nintendo GameCube (2004)
- Metroid Prime Pinball - Nintendo DS (2005)
- Metroid Prime Hunters - Nintendo DS (2006)
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii (2007)
- New Play Control! Metroid Prime - Wii (Japan Only, 2009)
- New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Wii (Japan Only, 2009)
- Metroid Prime Trilogy - Wii (2009)
- Metroid: Other M - Wii (2010)
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force - Nintendo 3DS (2016)
- Metroid: Samus Returns - Nintendo 3DS (2017)
- Metroid Prime 4 (working title)- Nintendo Switch (Unannounced)