Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games is a 2013 video game exclusive to the Wii U. It is based on the 2014 Winter Olympics. The game is the fourth installment in the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games franchise. It includes a variety of events from the winter games such as skiing, figure skating, and curling. As the title implies, the game is centered around the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, taking place in Sochi, Russia. Different events uses the Wii Remote Plus controller, Wii U GamePad, or both. As the other games in the series, it features realistic events with ones in Mario's and Sonic's worlds. As the game is a Wii U exclusive, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games is the first in the series to not have a handheld version. It is also the first game in the series published by Nintendo outside of Japan and South Korea rather than SEGA, who published the first three games.
The game is a minigame collection featuring various events from the Winter Olympics. The Events can be played individually in Single Match and in a row with Medley Mania. Players can play certain events online with Worldwide VS as well. Like previous games in the series, the minigames are largely motion controlled with some button prompts.
The Legends Showdown mode is a single-player campaign where the cast plays against dopplepangers in the events that lead to bosses in certain Events. The Action & Answer Tour is a party-like mode where players answer trivia in the middle of competing events.
- Snowboard Cross
- 4-man Bobsleigh
- Snowboard Slopestyle
- Speed Skating 500m
- Alpine Skiing Downhill
- Ski Jumping Large Hill
- Freestyle Skiing Moguls
- Freestyle Ski Cross
- Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom
- Figure Skating Singles
- Figure Skating Pairs
- Ice Hockey
- Short Track 1000m
- Winter Sports Champion Race (Mini Russia Island)
- Roller Coaster Bobsleigh (Speed Highway)
- Groove Pipe Snowboard (Mushroom Bridge)
- Snow Day Street Hockey (Delfino Plaza)
- Hole-In-One Curling (Green Hill Zone)
- Figure Skating Spectacular (Dream Skating Center)
- Snowball Scrimmage (Snow Colosseum)
- Bullet Bill Sledge Race (Sweet Mountain)
- Mario - All-Around
- Luigi - All-Around
- Peach - Skill
- Yoshi - Speed
- Wario - Power
- Waluigi - Skill
- Daisy - Speed
- Bowser - Power
- Donkey Kong - Power
- Bowser Jr.* - All-Around
- Sonic - Speed
- Amy - All-Around
- Blaze - All-Around
- Tails - Skill
- Shadow - Speed
- Dr. Eggman - Skill
- Knuckles - Power
- Vector - Power
- Silver - Skill
- Metal Sonic - Speed
- The Mii can earn costumes like in previous entries based on completing certain achievements rather than purchasing from a shop.
In the Legends Showdown mode, there are specials bosses the player can play against.
- Team Birdo (Ice Hockey)
- Kamek (Bullet Bill Sledge Race)
- Jet (Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom)
- King Boo (Short Track Speed Skating 1000m)
- E-123 Omega (Roller Coaster Bobsleigh)
- Team Eggman Nega (Winter Sports Champion Race)
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games received mixed reviews from critics. IGN gave the game a 4.5 (a "Bad" rating). They praised its large quantities of unlockables, but criticized its lack of games to be played online. GameXplain gave the single player mode a 3/5 stars and its multiplayer a 3.5/5. Destructoid gave the game a 6.0. The game received a score of 49% by Official Nintendo Magazine - while they praised the game's "TV-show-style to menus and games", they criticized the controls (describing them as "almost universally abject") and the event gameplay.
- This is the first Mario & Sonic game not to have a handheld counterpart.
- This is the first Mario & Sonic game to have online multiplayer.
- This is the first Mario & Sonic game that does not have a pre-rendered opening
- The game features some special animations to some Paired Characters for whenever the player gets first place in a event (for example, Mario and Princess Peach have different animations together rather than Luigi and Princess Daisy who have no special animations together).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 New Mario & Sonic Game Announced For Wii U | My Nintendo News
- ↑ http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57956/what-free-game-to-get-with-mario-kart-8/?page=2