Magus is a character from the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Nintendo DS role-playing game Chrono Trigger. He is originally from 12,000 B.C., when he was a young boy known as Janus, but was later accidentally transported to 600 A.D. where he built an army of monsters and became "Magus". The only thing that can defeat Magus in battle is the Masamune sword.
At first, Magus is an enemy of Crono and his friends. But they later join forces in the fight against Lavos. The player doesn't get Magus to join his/her party until at least two-thirds of the way through the game.
Crono and his friends enter Magus' Lair and finally find Magus, who is chanting in an unknown language to summon Lavos. Even though Frog is wielding the Masamune, Magus is confident he can win the battle.
Throughout the fight, where all the fighters use magic, the Masamune's power weakens Magus enough that he drops to his knees, ending the battle. Reality suddenly seems to warp around them. Lavos' power creates a Time Gate. Magus and Crono's party members are all sucked into the Gate.
- Note: During the battle with Magus, he has 6,666 Hit Points and his weakness is the Masamune.
- Note: Magus actually makes a double appearance in this chapter, neither of which is as "Magus". One is the young boy Janus, the other is the mysterious Prophet. His identity is not revealed at this time.
After Crono's party defeats Golem, they are imprisoned by Zeal, only to be rescued by Schala and her kid brother Janus, who know what their mother, Zeal, is doing is wrong. The Prophet means to kill Crono's party, but Schala wants their lives spared. So they all travel back down to the Time Gate, send Crono's party through it, and the Prophet forces Schala to magically seal the Gate for good.
After the Mountain of Woe fell, Schala arrives with Janus to Terra Cave to find Melchior and Crono's party. She tells them that she has turned her back on Zeal. But then Dalton arrives and kidnaps her to take her back to Zeal with young Janus in tow.
While the Mammon Machine is channeling Lavos' energy, Crono stabs it with the Ruby Knife. Energy is discharged and they all find themselves on a different dimensional plane where Lavos finally emerges. The monstrous Lavos easily defeats Crono's party and leaves them within an inch of their lives.
It's then that the Prophet reveals himself to be Magus in disguise. After the battle at his castle in 600 A.D., the portal transported him here to the Dark Ages. Magus then attacks Lavos but is also defeated.
Lavos then tries to steal the life force from Crono's party, Magus and Schala, while Zeal stands back and laughs. Mustering some strength, Crono tries another attack, but Lavos obliterates him, leaving no remains.
The party, Schala and Magus find themselves transported back to the Ocean Palace...without Crono. Before Lavos' energy destroys the underwater fortress, Schala uses the last of her power to transport them, and Magus, to safety.
After defeating Dalton and recovering Epoch in 12,000 B.C., the party lands on Terra Continent and heads to the North Cape where a stranger was said to have been looking for them. The stranger turns out to be Magus.
Magus then agrees to join the party in an attempt to finally defeat Lavos once and for all.
- Note: At this point, the player has more party members than spots in his party. Magus, just like the other party members, can rotate out at any time. The characters not in the party will wait at the End of Time until the player needs them.
|Magus' involvement in the following chapters depends on whether or not the player has him in their party.|
Refer to the main chapter articles for further information.
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Time Egg
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Hero's Grave
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Green Dream
- For chapter details, see the main article: Ozzie's Fort
- For chapter details, see the main article: Geno Dome
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Quest for the Sun Stone
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Rainbow Shell
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Fated Hour
- For chapter details, see the main article: The Final Battle
Throughout the game, Magus uses different scythes and sickles. The following is a list of those weapons.
- Dark Scythe
- Star Scythe
- Doom Sickle
Magic and Techs
Magic is used by the playable characters after reaching The End of Time. And Techs are combo attacks used by multiple characters during battle. This is a list of Magus' Magic attacks and Techs.
|Magic and special attacks|
Magus does not have any Dual Techs.
|Dark Eternal||Marle, Lucca, Magus|
|Omega Flare||Lucca, Robo, Magus|