Lego City: Undercover (JP) is an installment of the LEGO video game series released for the Wii U. Originally called "Lego City Stories", the game was first mentioned in The Brick where it was said "Lego City Stories will have a more loose central story that will encourage the player to explore a wider variety of side stories and challenges." The game will follow a police officer in LEGO City known as Chase McCain as he solves crimes in humorous LEGO style.
References to other games
- As you will notice at the end of the trailer below, it shows the main character (Chase McCain) build a green pipe out of LEGO bricks and descends into it in reference to the Super Mario series. Also, it makes the same noise as the game series.
- In the same trailer, a sound effect from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time plays when Chase is KO'd by Barry.
- In a trailer posted on Nintendo's YouTube Channel on January 22nd, 2013, it is seen that the Farmer disguise can use a move called the "Super Chicken Glide", which allows Chase to hold up a chicken and fly for a short amount of time. This is a reference to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask when Link could grab a Cucco (The Zelda Universe's equal to chickens) and be able to fly from one rooftop to another, without taking damage from the fall.
- This is the first installment in the LEGO video games series to be based off of the LEGO City Theme.
- The game's prequel, Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins, was released on the Nintendo 3DS on April 21st, 2013.
- It is the only LEGO game with references to Nintendo.
The game was received decently has a Metacritic of 80 and 80.27% on GameRankings. Critics criticized the long load times and the lack of cooperative play which was a staple in the previous LEGO games.
The game sold more than 100,000 units in the United States in its debut month, debuting outside the top 10 and tying with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, according to the NPD. In the UK, the game debuted at number 12 in the all-formats chart, however, it debuted at number 8 in the individual-format chart. The game sold 18,199 copies on it first week in Japan.
|Lego City: Undercover E3 Trailer|