Hyrule is the Name of Several kingdoms on different Continents of the world of the The Legend of Zelda series. It first appeared in The Legend of Zelda for the NES the 1980s, and has reappeared in most games of the series since then. Since the games takes place on a time frame that easily surpass 10,000 years between the first and last game in the timeline, Hyrule is depicted in very different states depending on the game with usually only a few landmarks being recognizable. Due to some events, certain Hyrule are not even the same as the original one, such as the New Hyrule from the Adult Timeline.
Outside of the series it has been featured in games such as Super Smash Bros. and its sequels Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
The Creation of Hyrule
Three Goddesses by the names of Din, Nayru, and Farore took it upon themselves to create a new world. Each infused their powers to create the new world, each with a unique ability. After the world had been created, they returned back to the heavens and gave responsibilities to the many races that they had created to uphold the laws of nature that they had developed. Upon leaving they left behind the Triforce to symbolize their utmost power, which contained three segments each representing a different quality including Power, Wisdom, and Courage. The one who would come in possession of the Triforce would have his or her wishes fulfilled, whether it be for good or for bad. The Triforce was left in the hands of another Goddess, Hylia who watched over the land of what in the early years of the world. The sacred land protected by the Goddess was what would eventually become Hyrule.
The War of the Demon King
After a period of peace, Demons started appearing from beneath the earth led by a powerful being named Demise who desired to obtain the power of the Gods for himself and rule the world. His hordes slaughtered many of the innocent creatures under Hylia's protection and she had to start a war against Demise. As a failsafe, she hid the Triforce inside the Statue of the Goddess and sent it into the sky with the defenseless Hylians. She also crafted a sword known as the Goddess Sword that was meant for her eventual Hero to recover in time of needs. She fought Demise and sealed him at the cost of her physical form. As she was dying, she decided to reincarnate in the land she sent into the sky to guide her hero on his quest to destroy Demise for good when the time would come.
Hyrule is established
The Hero was born as the first Link while Hylia was reborn as the first Zelda. Link reforged the Goddess Sword into the Master Sword throught trials and used his new strenght to reclaim the Triforce and wish Demise away. This worked until his servant, Ghirahim, traveled back in time to resurect him in the past. Link followed and defeated Demise in person. As his dying breath, the Demon cursed himself, Zelda and Link to be eternally bound to fight across the ages. Due to this, the land would eventually become plagued by an incarnation of Demise's hatred who would come to face a reincarnation of the first Link's spirit and Hylia's bloodline. Link and Zelda then welcomed back the habitants of the Sky on the Surface and the two created a new kingdom named Hyrule with Zelda's descendants as its rulers.
The battle for the Triforce
The many different races each upheld their responsibilities given to them by the goddesses. They each lived separately from one another, though for the most part were not enemies to one another, though contact was limited. The Hylians were the ones in power, though the other races had their own distinct qualities that bested those of the Hylians.
The location and the very existence of the Triforce and the Sacred Realm was known by few. The higher ups in the Hyrulian government knew of it, though they kept it a secret from other tribes to prevent civil war. Though word eventually got out and the various races across Hyrule would find of its existence, and almost automatically would attempt to gain its power. The first race to do so were the ones known as the Dark Interlopers. Their attempt to gain access to the Triforce brought fear into the other races. Ultimately in the end, the goddesses would punish the Dark Interlopers by banishing them to the world of the Twilight Realm.
The other races across Hyrule eventually would want the Triforce for themselves, each one having mixed reasons. Some wanted the Triforce to simply keep it from those who desired it for evil, while others wished to abuse its power. A war broke out among the races, and one women who had just given birth fled to a secure area whose race was not willing to partake in the conflict: the Kokiri. The Kokiri Forest was hidden from the rest of the world, and the childlike race wasn't interested in the doings of the outside world. The guardian of the forest and of the species was Great Deku Tree. The women who brought the child to him died shortly thereafter due to battle wounds. Though the Great Deku Tree would raise him as a Kokiri. The child's name was Link, and he would become the savior of Hyrule.
As Link grew up, his true identity as a Hylian was unknown to him. The Great Deku Tree would wait for another time when he was old enough to tell him of his heritage. The Deku tree knew of the child's future, and his destiny to save the world from evil. He would let destiny take its course and would not inform Link of his future. The prophesy that was foretold ages ago came true when the Gerudo king with a heart full of darkness and the bearer of the Triforce of Power developed a desire for the Triforce. He decided to seek out the keys to open the Sacred Realm, which included three stones and the Ocarina of Time. The Great Deku Tree held within him one of the Spiritual Stones, and refused Ganondorf access to it. Enraged, Ganondorf set a curse on the tree which would claim his life. In his final words, the Great Deku Tree told Link of his future, and that he was required to take the Spiritual Stone to Hyrule Castle Town.
Hyrulean Royal Family
Hyrule is presented as a federal monarchy centered around the belief of divine right. This means that Hyrule is more often than not a decentralized country where independant monarchs of different species rule certain regions. The actual leader of the country is the Hylian king, which is recognized as the highest authority in the kingdom due to them being descended of the Goddess Hylia. This is a list of all known rulers of Hyrule by chronological orders as well as their roles in the kingdom's history.
- Zelda (Skyward Sword) - Reincarnation of Hylia, progenitor of the Hyrulean Royal Family and founder of Hyrule.
- King Gustaf - A peaceful King who had good relations with the Wind Tribe
- War of the Bound Chest Princess - A Princess who recieved the power of the Light Force from the Minish during the War of the Bound Chest.
- King Daltus - The King of Hyrule durin The Minish Cap. He was iprisoned and impersonated by Vaati who used his name to throw the kingdom into chaos.
- Princess Zelda (The Minish Cap) - The host of the Light Force during The Minish Cap. She was petrified by Vaati who wished to sacrifice her to gain power. She used the Whishing Hat to bring back her ruined kingdom to normal.
- Princess Zelda (Four Swords) - The princess who was captured by Vaati when he broke free from the Four Sword for the first time.
- The Civil War King - The King who unified Hyrule during the Hyrulean Civil War. He is Zelda's father during Ocarina of Time. He was known to have been manipulated by Ganondorf who eventually kills him.
- Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time): The princess who saw through Ganondorf's manipulations and sent Link on a quest to retrieve the Master Sword. She eventually is forced to flee when Ganondorf takes over.
- Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time): In this timeline she hides from Ganondorf as Sheik until she can reveal herself as the Seventh Sage and help Link to seal Ganon. She then sent Link back in time causing the split.
- King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule - The last ruler of Hyrule, he was the king when Ganondorf was freed and died in the Great Flood before being brought back by the Gods as the King of Red Lions.
- The Antediluvian Princess - Daphnes' daughter, she escaped the flood and is the reason for the bloodline actually continuing.
- Tetra's Mother - A descendant of the Antediluvian Princess who was the chief of a band of pirate.
- Tetra - leader of the same group of pirate, she discovered her lineage after meeting Daphnes. She eventually help Link to defeat Ganon for the last time. She later founded New Hyrule.
- Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks) - Tetra's great-great granddaughter. She fought against Malladus to protect New Hyrule.
- King of the Hyrulean Civil War - Since Ganondorf was denounced in this timeline, he wasn't assassinated and even managed to arrest him.
- Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time) - In this timeline she learns of Link's time travel, and causes Ganondorf's arrest by denouncing him.
- Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess) - the princess who was deposed by Zant during the Twilight Invasion. She eventually managed to fight back the invation and helped Link killing Ganondorf.
- Princess Zelda (Four Swords Adventure) - The Zelda who was captured by Vaati when he escaped for a second time. She then helped Link sealing Ganon in the Four Sword.
- Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time) - After Link's defeat, she along with the other Sages sealed Ganon in the Sacred Realm.
- The King of Hyrule - The King who gave Agahnim his position before being betrayed and killed. He is resurected by the Triforce after Ganon is defeated.
- Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past) - The Zelda that was captured by Agahnim, she is the one who starts Link's quest by communicating with him telepathically. After Ganon's defeat she is targeted by the Twinrova who wants to sacrifice her in order to revive their master. This fails and is the result of Ganon's madness.
- Princess Zelda (A Link Between Worlds) - The Zelda who was captured by Yuga in order to revive and fuse with Ganon as a way to bait the Hero and ultimately allows Princess Hilda to gain the Triforce. She eventually helps Link in his battle against Yuga after he betrays Hilda. She then recreate Lorule's Triforce by using her own.
- The Wise King - The last king to have used the Triforce until the end of the Era of Decline. He is the one who split it to prevent further conflicts.
- The Wise King's son - A prince who was originally unfit to rule and tried to find the Triforce. This resulted in his sister's eternal slumber. He later vowed to redeem himself and became a just ruler.
- Princess Zelda (Zelda II) - The Wise King's daughter, doomed to sleep forever until Link saves her generations later.
- Princess Zelda (Zelda I) - The Zelda who broke the Triforce of Wisdom during Ganon's occupation. She was rescued from the monster after his final death at the hands of Link.
End of the Timelines
- The King of the First Calamity - The King who ruled 10,000 years before Breath of the Wild and successfully fought back against the first manifestation of Calamity Ganon. He then grew afraid of the Sheikah technology and made the ultimatum that led to the brutal removal of any advanced technology from the kingdom.
- The Princess of the First Calamity - The Princess who fought Calamity Ganon alongside the Hero 10,000 years before Breath of the Wild.
- King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule - The ruler of Hyrule during the Great Calamity. His misinterpretation of the prophecy of Ganon's return led to the destruction of the kingdom who was reduced to independants settlements for the next 100 years. He later guides Link as a ghost.
- Princess Zelda (Breath of the Wild) - The Princess who originally struggled with her powers but managed to unlock them and trap Ganon for 100 years, preventing herself from aging in the process.
|Zelda II: The Adventure of Link locations|
|Western Hyrule locations||North Castle • Rauru • Ruto • Saria • Mido • Tantari Desert • Parapa Desert • Moruge Swamp • Midoro Swamp • Death Mountain • Graveyard • King's Tomb|
|Eastern Hyrule locations||Nabooru • Darunia • Kasuto • Maze Island • Three Eye Rock • Valley of Death|
|Dungeons||Parapa Palace • Midoro Palace • Island Palace • Maze Island Palace • Palace on the Sea • Three Eye Rock Palace • Great Palace|
|The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past locations|
| Light World|
|Link's House • Secret Passage • Sanctuary • Graveyard • Haunted Grove • Kakariko Village • Kakariko Village Shop • Library • Lake Hylia • Lake Hylia Shop Cave • Wishing Well • Great Swamp • Desert of Mystery • Witch's Hut • Waterfall of Wishing • Zora's Lake • Zora's Waterfall • Death Mountain • Lost Woods|
| Dark World|
|Dark World Shield Shop • Pyramid of Power • Skeleton Forest • Skull Woods • Village of Outcasts • Lake of Ill Omen • Swamp of Evil • Misery Mire|
| Light World|
|Hyrule Castle • Eastern Palace • Desert Palace • Tower of Hera|
| Dark World|
|Palace of Darkness • Swamp Palace • Skull Woods • Thieves' Town • Ice Palace • Misery Mire Palace • Turtle Rock • Ganon's Tower|
|The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword locations|
|Hyrule locations||Eldin Volcano • Faron Woods • Hyrule • Lake Floria • Lanayru Desert • Sealed Grounds • Silent Realm • Skyloft • Thunderhead|
|Dungeons||Skyview Temple • Earth Temple • Lanayru Mining Facility • Ancient Cistern • Pirate Stronghold • Sandship • Fire Sanctuary • Sky Keep|
|The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild locations|
|Great Plateau locations||Eastern Abbey • Forest of Spirits • Great Plateau Tower • Hopper Pond • Mount Hylia • River of the Dead • Shrine of Resurrection • Temple of Time • Woodcutter's House|
|Faron Province locations||Faron Woods • Lake Hylia • Malanya Spring|
|Akkala Province locations||Tarrey Town • Akkala Lake|
|Central Hyrule locations||Hyrule Castle Town|
|East Necluda locations||Hateno village • Hateno Ancient Tech Lab • Link's House|
|Gerudo region locations||Gerudo Town • Kara Kara Bazaar • Yiga Clan Hideout|
|Eldin locations||Great Hyrule Forest • Lost Woods • Bridge of Eldin • Death Mountain • Goron City • Southern Mine|
|Hebra Province locations||Hebra Tower • Snowfield Stable|
|Lanayru locations||Zora's Domain|
|Tabantha Frontier locations||Rito Village • Cuho Mountain • Forgotten Temple|
|West Necluda locations||Kakariko Village • Dueling Peaks|
|Dungeons||Vah Medoh • Vah Rudania • Vah Naboris • Vah Ruta • Hyrule Castle • Divine Trial|