Guardians are a type of enemies in The Legend of Zelda series. They debuted in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and have since made appearances in games set around this time period notably Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. They are multiple types of Guardians, the most popular one being the Guardian Stalker.
The Guardians were originally created by the Sheikah ten thousands years before the events of Breath of the Wild along with the four Divine Beasts, from their ancient technology, to protect the Hyrule and aid the Princess of Hyrule and the Hero to defeat Calamity Ganon and sealed him. The Sheikah and their technology was firstly hailed as the power of the gods, but as time went on the people and Royal Family of Hyrule came to fear their power as a threat to the kingdom, resulting in the Sheikah becoming exiles.
One hundred years before the events of the game, King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule became aware of the prophecy about the inevitable return of Calamity Ganon. This drove a search for the fabled ancient Sheikah relics. Upon their discovery, King Rhoam decided to excavate them. He then formed a group of skilled Champions commanded by Princess Zelda, and four elite warriors were selected from across the kingdom and tasked with the duty of piloting the Divine Beasts to assist Link, the appointed Knight and Hylian Champion. One hundred years prior to the events of Breath of the Wild, while the Champions were making preparations to battle Calamity Ganon, he reappeared and devastated the Kingdom of Hyrule by taking control of the Guardians and the Divine Beasts, killing four of the Champions in the process. A century after the Great Calamity, Link awakens from his slumber in the Shrine of Resurrection he first encounters remaining Decayed Guardians at the Eastern Abbey. He then finds more Guardian variants during his adventure.
Types of Guardians
- Guardian Stalker - The Guardian Stalker is essentially a laser turret mounted on six legs who can follow its target across large distances.
- Decayed Guardian - A Guardian Stalker who was damaged due to time and have lost their mobility.
- Guardian Scout - A smaller Guardian found inside Sheikah build structures who can wield weapons with their robotic arms and have a weaker laser canon.
- Guardian Turret - The Guardian Turret is an immobile Guardian which unlike the Decayed Guardian was designed that way and as such it can ajust the height of its laser canon for greater precision.
- Guardian Skywatcher - The Guardian Skywatcher is an inverted laser turrt that can fly thanks to its propellers.
- Sentry - The Sentry is a special type of Guardian deployed by Vah Rudania to patrol its suroundings.
- Diminutive Guardians - A special type of small Guardians who were outfited with the ability to create a Gate of Time.