Gradius (JP) is a shoot-em-up video game develop and published by Konami. It was originally released in arcades in 1985 and then ported to other gaming platforms such as the NES/Famicom, the PC-Engine, and the MSX. Both the NES/Famicom and TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine versions were re-released for the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U's Virtual Console service.
The planet Gradius is invaded by the Bacterion Empire, the trans-dimensional starfighter "Vic-Viper" (Named "Warp Rattler" in the American localization) is send on a counter-attack to destroy the "Xaerous Space-Fortress.", home of the invader.
A unique feature of Gradius is the power-up system. In the bottom of the screen, there is a bar with the multiple amelioration, collecting an capsule (which can be gained by either destroying a formation of enemy or destroying orange-colored enemy) will highlight the first option: Speed Up, which boost the speed of the ship. The player can either choose to activate it, reverting the Power-up bar to its original, non-highlighted state, or picking-up another capsule and spend it on the next option: a missile. The power-up are: Speed Up, Missile, "Double" (A second shot at a 45-degree angle.), an armor-piercing laser, two "Option" (Drone that mimic the player movement and firepower.) and a shield. Double and Laser can't be activated at the same time, it's either one or the other. Another type of power-up is the blue capsule, which destroy every weak-enemy and shot on the screen.
- Famicom Version at Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console page (Japan)
- PC-Engine Verion at Hudson Soft Virtual Console page (Japan)
- Famicom Version at Nintendo's 3DS Virtual Console page (Japan)
- PC-Engine Verison at Nintendo's 3DS Virtual Console page (Japan)
- Famicom Verison at Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console page (Japan)
- PC-Engine Version at Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console page (Japan)
- MSX Version at Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console page (Japan)
- NES Version at Virtual Console Reviews
- TurboGrafx-16 Version at Virtual Console Reviews
- Title at Moby Games
- Title at Gamefaqs