After workjing on Ascii, Abe made his gaming development debut in Nintendo with Wario Land 4 on the Game Boy Advance, where he acted as one of the game's many programmers; in particular, he was in charge of programming the minigames and the CD Player.
He later went on to work on WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! as a programmer, and its remake WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$ as director, reprising that role in WarioWare Twisted!. WarioWare Twisted! is often considered one of the Game Boy Advance's best offerings.
On the Nintendo DS, Abe helped create WarioWare Touched!, while on the Wii he directed WarioWare: Smooth Moves. With Smooth Moves, Goro Abe was in charge of the first console launch window title by Nintendo Software Planning and Development, and thus worked closely alongside the hardware developers of Nintendo when creating the Wii and the Wii Remote. When the Nintendo DSi was announced, Abe supervised Intelligent Systems on the creation of WarioWare: Snapped!, and he would also direct WarioWare D.I.Y. on Nintendo DS, as well as WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase on WiiWare.
List of games
- Wario Land 4 (2001) - Programmer
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! (2003) - Game Design, Graphic Design, Microgame Programming, Boss Programming, Subgame Programming
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$ (2003) - Director, Game Design, GBA WarioWare
- WarioWare Twisted! (2004) - Chief Director, Game Design
- WarioWare Touched! (2004) - Director, Game Design
- Play-Yan (2005) - Game Design
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves (2006) - Chief Director, Game Design
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008) - Supervisor (Original Games)
- WarioWare: Snapped! (2009) - Supervisor
- WarioWare D.I.Y. (2009) - Chief Director, Game Contents
- Nintendo DSi Instrument Tuner / Nintendo DSi Metronome (2009) - Director
- Game & Wario (2013) - Director, Game Design
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U (2014) - Supervisor (Original Games)
- WarioWare Gold (2018) - Chief Director
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018) - Original Game Supervisor