Funky Kong is a character from the Donkey Kong series. He first made his appearance in the Donkey Kong Country series and has been in the series since then. He is usually recognized by wearing a bandanna and sunglasses on his head.
Donkey Kong series
Donkey Kong Country/Land series
In the first Donkey Kong Country, he held a Boom Box and offered a plane barrel ride to any location you had completed or were currently working on. In Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Land 2, he rode a flying surfboard, and offered the same service. Finally, in Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, he owned a workshop that has a jet ski, a hovercraft, a motorboat, and a Gyrocopter that can be unlocked by collecting all of the DK Coins.
Donkey Kong 64
Also, he did make an appearance in Donkey Kong 64, He sold weapons to the playable Kong members in this game, such as walnuts, peanuts, coconuts, oranges, and pineapples. He still kept the shades, although he did sport army fatigues this time.
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
In Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Funky Kong takes the role of the shopkeeper and help the other kongs on their journey. In the Nintendo Switch version however, he becomes a playable character with his own game mode.
Other games of the Donkey Kong series
Mario Kart series
Mario Kart Wii
Funky Kong marks his only appearance in the Mario Kart series in Mario Kart Wii where he is an unlockable heavyweight character that can be obtained by obtaining four Expert Staff Ghost Data on Time Trial mode. This is his first appearance in a game from the Mario series.
Mario sports games
Funky Kong is an unlockable character in Mario Super Sluggers where he uses a surfboard as a bat. He can be unlocked after he joins the player in Challenge Mode.
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Funky Kong appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as a trophy.
- "A sunglassed surfer and friend of the Kongs. Funky Kong is indeed funky, from his looks to his lingo. Funky provides different services to the Kongs throughout the different games, be it a barrel-transport system or ammunition expertise. He may have tired of business dealings, as he's been a barrel-race participant more recently."
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
Funky Kong appears as a trophy in both versions of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
- NA:"Has he remodeled his personal jet into a shop? Maybe he thinks it will encourage his items to "fly off shelves." He claims he ran an airport once.. Maybe that's true. Much like his style of conversation, I'm sure it was a pretty funky experience."
- "Funky Kong's turned his private plane into a shop, all in some kind of effort to make stuff "fly off the shelves".. Classic jokes like that and the way he says things like "tubular" might make you think you're back in the 80s, but that's all part of his charm, right?"
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Donkey Kong Country - 11/1994
- Nintendo 64 - Donkey Kong 64 - 11/1999
Appearances in video games
|1994||Donkey Kong Country||SNES||First Appearance||No|
|1995||Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest||SNES||Second appearance in the Donkey Kong Country games.||No|
|1996||Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!||SNES||Third appearance in the Donkey Kong Country games.||No|
|1996||Donkey Kong Land 2||Game Boy||Only appearance on the Game Boy.||No|
|1999||Donkey Kong 64||Nintendo 64||Only appearance on N64||No|
|2005||DK: King of Swing||Game Boy Advance||First playable appearance||Yes|
|2007||DK: Jungle Climber||Nintendo DS||Only appearance on DS||Yes|
|2007||Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast||Wii||First appearance on Wii||Yes|
|2008||Super Smash Bros. Brawl||Wii||Trophy and Sticker||No|
|2008||Mario Kart Wii||Wii||First Mario spin-off||Yes|
|2008||Mario Super Sluggers||Wii||Second Mario spin-off||Yes|
|2014||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||Wii U||Shop Keeper||No|
|2014||Super Smash Bros. for Wii U||Wii U||Trophy||No|
|2018||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||Nintendo Switch||Shop Keeper and playable character.||Yes|
|Donkey Kong characters|
|Major Kongs||Cranky Kong • Candy Kong • Chunky Kong • Diddy Kong • Dixie Kong • Donkey Kong • Donkey Kong Jr. • Funky Kong • Kiddy Kong • Lanky Kong • Tiny Kong • Swanky Kong • Wrinkly Kong|
|Other Kongs||Manky Kong • Bluster Kong • Leo Luster • Dread Kong • Eddie the Mean Old Yeti • Karate Kong • Kong Fu • Ninja Kong • Sumo Kong|
|Kremlings||King K. Rool • Kaptain Skurvy • Green Croc • Kalypso • Kass • Kerozene • Kip • K. Lumsy • Klubba • Kludge • Klump • Krusha • Kudgel • Kackle • Kritter • Klaptrap|
|Tiki Tak Tribe||Kalimba • Maraca Gang • Gong-Oh • Banjo Bottom • Wacky Pipes • Xylobone • Cordian • Tiki Tong|
|Snowmads||Pompy • Skowl • Ba-Boom • Fugu • Bashmaster • Lord Fredrik|