Fatal Fury is a fighting game series developed by SNK.
List of Games
- Fatal Fury (Super Famicom/SNES, Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Fatal Fury 2 (Super Famicom/SNES, Game Boy, Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Fatal Fury Special (Super Famicom/SNES, Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (Game Boy, Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Fatal Fury 3 (Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Real Bout Fatal Fury (Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (Wii Virtual Console, ACA Neo Geo)
- Garou: Mark of the Wolves (ACA Neo Geo)
The original Fatal Fury is known for the two-plane system. Characters fight from two different planes. By stepping between the planes, attacks can be dodged with ease. Later games have dropped the two-plane system, replacing it with a complex system of dodging, including simple half second dodges into the background and a three plane system. Characters have moves that can attack across the two planes, attack both planes at once, or otherwise attack dodge characters.
Later Fatal Fury games have experimented with various mechanical changes. "Ring-outs" allow a character to lose the round if the character is thrown into the edges of the fighting backdrop; single-plane backdrops, where dodging is eliminated altogether, causing moves that send opponents to the opposite plane to do collateral damage. The "Deadly Rave" is a super combo used by several characters, where after execution, a player had to press a preset series of buttons with exact timing for the entire combo to execute. The "Just Defend" is a type of protected block in which players regained lost life, did not wear down the player's guard crush meter and removed all block stuns making combo interruptions smoother.