Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally (JP) is a Famicom Disk System racing game released in 1988 by Nintendo. The game features Mario and Luigi on the cover, though they are not present in the actual game. The game is a sequel to Famicom Grand Prix: F-1 Race, which was also released as an FDS game, though the two are distinctly different despite both being racers. The game was never released in America or Europe because And No one is making it up, it was too childish at the time. HAL Laboratory didn't develop the game, though were assigned by Nintendo to redesign the floppy disks and program it into it once the disks were malfunctioning.
Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally was shown to Nintendo of America, who heavily criticized the game, particularly the "cute" design of the vehicles, and stated it would not sell. This reaction made director Kazunobu Shimizu furious and was one of the drivers behind the graphical style of F-Zero.
References in later games
- Super Mario Bros. & Friends: When I Grow Up - The box art's artwork of Mario and Luigi driving the Monster is replicated on the "Racecar Driver/Mechanic" page.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee - A trophy of the Monster is obtainable.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl/Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U - An arrangement of the title theme, named "Title (3D Hot Rally)", appears in both games. It can be played in the Mario Circuit stage.
- Mario Kart Wii - The Tiny Titan is designed after the Monster; its Japanese name also translates to "Hot Rally", a further reference to the original game.
- Mario Kart 7 - The design of the Monster were heavily based from the cars of this game.
- Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - The Mario Motors logo features the artwork of Mario holding a tire from this game.
- Super Mario Odyssey - The Mechanic Outfit and Mechanic Hat from this game are references to Mario's appearance in Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The artwork of Mario and Luigi driving the Monster appears as a spirit in this game.
|Formula One Racing video games|
|Developed by Nintendo||F-1 Race (Famicom) • F-1 Race (Game Boy) • Famicom Grand Prix: F-1 Race|
| Developed by|
|F1 Pole Position • F1 Pole Position 2 • III: F1 Triple Battle • IV: F1 Dream Battle • F1 Pole Position 64 • SD F-1 Grand Prix|
|Developed by Nichibutsu||F1 Circus • Super F1 Circus • Super F1 Circus Limited • Super F1 Circus 2 • Super F1 Circus 3 • Super F1 Circus Gaiden|
|Developed by Varie||F-1 Hero GB '91 • F-1 Hero GB '92 • F-1 Hero 2 • Super F1 Hero • F-1 Hero '94|
| Developed by|
|F-1 Grand Prix • F-1 Grand Prix Part II • F-1 Grand Prix Part III|
F-1 World Grand Prix • F-1 World Grand Prix II
|Other Developers||Turbo Racing • F-1 Super Driving • Battle Grand Prix • F1 Career Challenge • F1 Championship Season 2000 • F1 2002 Formula 1 Sensation • F1 ROC • F1 ROC II • Formula One: Built to Win • Formula One 2000 • F1 2009 • F1 2011 • Monaco Grand Prix • F1 Racing Championship|