F-Zero X is a video game for the Nintendo 64. It is a sequel to the SNES classic video game F-Zero. You race through futuristic scenes. The most famous F-Zero courses are Mute City, Port Town and Big Blue.
Few changes have occurred in the gameplay of F-Zero X. Instead of four racers at a time like in F-Zero, there are now thirty racers at once. You can use the B button to boost and R and L buttons to ram into racers and do a spin attack.
Critics generally praised F-Zero X for its fast gameplay, abundance of courses and vehicles, track design, and maintaining a high framerate. However, the game has been widely criticized for its lack of graphical detail. In 2010, the game was included as one of the titles in the book 1001 Games You Must Play Before You Die. Its predecessor is F-Zero for the SNES and it's successor is F-Zero GX for the GameCube.
There are many different modes in F-Zero X. There is GP race, where you compete in tournaments; Practice, where you race around a course with other racers; Time Trial: where you have to beat times in three laps; Deathmatch, where you have to bring your opponents health down to 0 by ramming them and VS, a multiplayer mode.
|#||Jack Cup||Queen Cup||King Cup||Joker Cup||*DD-1 Cup||*DD-2 Cup|
|1||Mute City 1||Sector α||Fire Field||Rainbow Road||Silence 3||Mute City 4|
|2||Silence||Red Canyon||Silence 2||Devil's Forest 3||Sand Ocean 3||Space Plant 2|
|3||Sand Ocean||Devil's Forest 2||Sector β||Space Plant||Devil's Forest 4||Port Town 4|
|4||Devil's Forest||Mute City 2||Red Canyon 2||Sand Ocean 2||Port Town 3||Fire Field 2|
|5||Big Blue||Big Blue 2||White Land 2||Port Town 2||Devil's Forest 5||White Land 3|
|6||Port Town||White Land||Mute City 3||Big Hand||Big Blue 3||Big Foot|
Overall, critical reception of F-Zero X was positive; the game has an aggregate average of 86.93% based on 15 reviews at Game Rankings, and a metascore of 85 at Metacritic. Critics generally praised F-Zero X for its fast gameplay, abundance of courses and vehicles, keeping a high framerate with up to thirty racers on screen at the same time, and track design.
|Edge||8 of 10|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly||9, 9, 9, 9 of 10|
|GamePro||4.5 of 5|
|GameSpot||7.5 of 10|
|IGN||9.1 of 10|
|The Electroinic Playground||8.5 of 1|
- In the Virtual Console release, the weight and speed of the vehicles are in metric (kilograms and kilometers, respectively). There is no way to change to imperial.
- This game was the 100th Virtual Console game in North America
- The original name for F-Zero X was going to be F-Zero 64.
- Rainbow Road in the Joker Cup is the same one from Mario Kart 64.
- Racer James McCloud is in reference to a character in Nintendo's Star Fox series.
- GameSpot has said that F-Zero X is the first game to run at 60 fps.
- Press "L" and "R" on the character setting screen will allow you to adjust the main color of your vehicle.
- Pressing any of the "C" buttons on the character setting screen will rotate the vehicle in different directions.