Donkey Kong 64 was a 3D platform game released for the Nintendo 64 in 1999. The game required the Expansion Pak accessory in order to play it, which came bundled with the game cartridge at its launch.
The game borrows a lot of characteristics found on games like Super Mario 64, such as the ground pound and the backflip. However, the game goes even further by having 5 different playable characters with different abilities and weapons. Also, the game has an excess of different collectibles which was a characteristic of many Rare games at the time.
Donkey Kong 64 also featured a unique intro movie, which was actually a song called the "DK Rap". The intention of the song seems to be for introducing the characters of the game and their abilities - that said, it was met with much bemusement and mockery from the gaming public.
In addition, another aspect of the game that was scrutinized was the heavy emphasis on the sheer number of collectibles featured in the game; this was a common symptom of many of the Rare-developed game. Nevertheless, the game was warmly received as a quality platformer.
- Donkey Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Tiny Kong
- Lanky Kong
- Chunky Kong
- Krusha (Multiplayer only, must be unlocked)
- Klaptrap (Beaver Bother minigame only)
These are the 9 worlds of Donkey Kong 64:
- DK Isles (The hub)
- Jungle Japes (World 1)
- Angry Aztec (World 2)
- Frantic Factory (World 3)
- Gloomy Galleon (World 4)
- Fungi Forest (World 5)
- Crystal Caves (World 6)
- Creepy Castle (World 7)
- Hideout Helm (World 8)
- Late in the game, the player can unlock the arcade versions of the original Donkey Kong and Jetpac.
|Main article: Donkey Kong 64/gallery|
- This game was hinted to come out in Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, in Wrinkly Kong's cave, a N64 was near the TV before it was even announced.
- Fungi Forest was originally a Banjo-Kazooie world under the name Fungus Forest, but it was scrapped due to insufficient time to complete the game's development.
- In the game's manual, Cranky Kong makes a joke that he thought that Tiny Kong was Dixie Kong.
- Some of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong's sound effects were later recycled in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- This is the only Nintendo 64 game to come bundled with the Expansion Pak. The later game The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (which also requires the Expansion Pak to play it) never came bundled with it and had to be purchased separately.
|Donkey Kong series|
|Arcade series||Donkey Kong • Donkey Kong Jr • Donkey Kong Jr. Math • Donkey Kong 3 • Donkey Kong '94|
|Donkey Kong Country series||Donkey Kong Country • Country 2 • Country 3 • Land • Land 2 • Land III • Donkey Kong 64|
Country Returns (3D) • Tropical Freeze
|Mario vs. Donkey Kong series||Mario vs. Donkey Kong • March of the Minis • Mini-Land Mayhem! • Minis March Again!|
Minis on the Move • Tipping Stars
|Bongo series||Donkey Konga • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat • Donkey Konga 2 • Donkey Konga 3|
|Other games||Diddy Kong Racing (DS) • King of Swing • Jungle Climber • Barrel Blast • Jungle Fever • Banana Kingdom|
|Related||Nintendo (Shigeru Miyamoto) • Mario • Mario Kart • Mario Party • Super Smash Bros.|
Rare • Retro Studios