A port of the original was included as a bonus with purchases of the initial run and digital purchases. The game was re-released for the Nintendo Switch in early 2018 with a download code for the original.
The gameplay is similar to the original Bayonetta. Witch Time returns from the original, occurring when the player narrowly dodges an attack. Time slows down so the player can easily combo. The Torture Attacks also return, using up one magic gauge.
Even larger Angels and Demons can be frozen. Bayonetta now has a mech that is fairly similar to her attack style. This was revealed during the Treehouse live stream during E3 2014.
Announced at San Diego Comic-Con 2014, this mode is called Tag Climax. It is a 2 player co-op mode that can match the player up online, play locally with one on the Gamepad and the other on the screen, or with a CPU.
The players play on a stage together trying to get the most points. Players can bet halos to increase difficulty and raise the rewards.
The plot seems to be that Jeanne's soul is taken to Inferno and Bayonetta must go to hell and rescue her. On the way in a place called Paradiso, she encounters another similar being named Loki. Not to mention, there is a Lumen Sage surviving called the Masked Lumen, who wishes to kill all the Umbra Witches. After rescuing Jeanne, it appears that things are not even close to being done.
This port was overseen by Hideki Kamiya and developed by Bee Tribe. This port has a few improvement most notably, the game is stable 60 fps. There is Japanese audio based on the cast of the Bayonetta anime and both Japanese and English subtitles. There is now 4 special Nintendo costumes. It also includes touch screen controls from Bayonetta 2.
- A unique take on Samus' power suit, including a visor you control
- Fire shots from Samus' arm cannon
- Dodging is a morph ball
- Skimpy version of Peach's dress, with a Mario doll
- Use moves that feature giant versions of Bowser’s hands and feet
- Has an alternate whip weapon
- Makes Coins fly out of enemies and breakable stuffs
- An orange version of the Peach costume, only this time with a Luigi doll
- Use the Master Sword and protects herself with the Hylian Shield
- Bayonetta is wearing Link's green tunic
- Makes rupees fly out of enemies and breakable stuffs
- A take on Fox's suit with ears and a tail
- Fires the lasers from the laser guns based on the arwings with the keychains of the Star Fox team.
- When wearing the costume during an event when you control a jet, the jet is replaced with an Arwing. This would be the basis for Star Fox Zero
In Europe, Bayonetta fans could preorder a special edition of the game. This included Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 in separate boxes, and an art book of Bayonetta 2, all contained in a special case called the Book of Angels. Only 15300 copies of it were made.
Wii U version
As of April 26, 2018 the Nintendo Switch port of Bayonetta 2 sold 400,000 units worldwide.
|Main article: Bayonetta 2/gallery|
|Clover Studio / PlatinumGames games|
|Viewtiful Joe series||Viewtiful Joe • Viewtiful Joe 2 • Viewtiful Joe: Battle Carnival • Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!|
|Bayonetta series||Bayonetta • Bayonetta 2 • Bayonetta 3|
|Other games||Ōkami • MadWorld • Infinite Space • The Wonderful 101 • Star Fox Zero • Star Fox Guard|
|Related||Capcom • Sega • Nintendo • Bayonetta (character) • Ōkamiden • Devil May Cry • Resident Evil 4 • Shinji Mikami • Atsushi Inaba • Hideki Kamiya|