- 1 Appearance
- 2 Abilities
- 3 History
- 4 Super Smash Bros. series
- 5 Trivia
In the first Bayonetta game, she was basically known as "A Witch with No Memories". She appeared in her standard Umbra Witch Outfit with her long hair and wielded her four guns with her hands and feet. These red guns were known as "Scarborough Fair".
In Bayonetta 2, she had a short hair and wore a different and a hair-like Umbra Witch outfit. Her "Scarborough Fair" guns were replaced by her new guns that are colored blue and it was known as "Love is Blue".
Bayonetta possess a large number of weapons during the event of the two games, those weapons will be listed below:
- Umbran Sisters (Guns)
- Handguns (Guns)
- Scarborough Fair (Guns)
- Onyx Roses (Shotguns)
- 修羅刃-Shuraba- (Katana)
- Kulshedra (Whip)
- Durga (Claws)
- Odette (Skates)
- Lt. Col. Kilgore (Grenade launchers)
- 細鳳-Sai Fung- (nunchuk)
- Bazillions (Guns)
- Pillow Talk (Saber)
- Rodin (bracelet)
- Love is Blue(Guns)
- Rakshasa (Dual swords)
- Alruna (Whip)
- Kafka (Bow)
- Chernobog (Scythe)
- Undine (Flamthrowers)
- 武甕槌-Takemikazuchi- (Hammer)
- Salamandra (Chainsaws)
- Chain Chomp
- Umbran Armor (Robot)
- Master Sword (Sword)
- Arwing Guns (Guns)
As an Umbra Witch Bayonetta is able to turn herself into various animals,her known transformations are:
Witch Walk is an ability Bayonetta share with the other Umbra Witches that allow her to defy gravity and walk on walls and ceilings as long as the moon is visible in the sky.
Bayonetta is able to use her hair as a conduit that allow her to summon Demons even when she is in other realms, the Demons she has been seen to summons are:
- Madama Butterfly - PDEE BARMA ("Itself itself")
- Gomorrah - AVAVAGO ("Increase the thunders")
- Malphas - A GRA ORS ("Moon of Darkness")
- Hekatoncheir - AFAA TADAAG NEPTA ("Sword of Dust")
- Scolopendra - TELOC VOVIM (Dragon of death)
- Phantasmaraneae - IASTA SA PIADPH (Framed in the depths of my jaws)
- Labolas - ARGEDCO (Invoke)
- Baal - EX FA (Vomit power)
- Hydra - CANILU (Blood)
- Diomedes - SUNDENNA (Name of evil spirit)
- Carnage - SOL-PHECTAHE (Listen)
- Queen Sheba - TELOC VOVIM A GRAA ORS TABA ORD AVAVAGO (The Fallen One cast down, let her be governed by that which thunders): require Jeanne's support
- Omne - AGRAA ORS TABA ORD AVAVAGO (The moon of darkness... let her be governed by that which thunders): Requires Balder's support.
500 years befre the events of the first game, Cereza was born to Balder, a Lumen Sage, and Rosa, an Umbra Witch. Due to the forbidden nature of that relationship, the Umbran Elder kept her aside from the other witches. As a child, she still became friend with another witch named Jeanne. A couple of years passed, and the great war between the Lumen Sages and the Umbra Witches took place in Vigrid due to the fear that Bayonetta's mixed heritage would topple the established order.
The Lumen Sages eventually lost the war and xere all killed by the witches, the sole survivor being Balder who was exiled for his forbidden love. The Angels of Paradiso wanting to take advantage of the situation to obtain the Eyes of the World from the two clans tricked Balder into getting involved into the war to backstab him, take the right eye he was a vessel to and use it with the other eye to ressurect Jubileus, The Creator and create a world controled by the light.
During the war, Cereza, along with Jeanne, fought against the angels from Paradiso in the falling Umbra Clock Tower. Meanwhile, Rosa and Balder were confronting Fortitudo, the leader of the assault only for them to be attacked from a third party in the person of Loptr, the evil half of Aesir, The God of Chaos, from which the eyes came from. Rosa takes a mortal blow for Balder and Loptr immediatly disappear leaving Balder alone and swearing to take his revenge. He is immediatly teleported 500 years into the future by Loptr in an adult body trying to trick him into going after Loki, his other half, who still has the appearance of a child in the future. Back in the past, Cereza witnessed that her mother, Rosa, was killed but arrived just after Balder departed. Suddenly, Jeanne stabbed Cereza in the heart and sealed her in the gem to protect her from the incoming wave of angels who managed to kill every remaining witches except the duo. Balder comes back at that time after having experienced the events of Bayonetta 2, and is now possessed by Loptr. This Balder decides to spare Jeanne and decide to mind control her and use her as a tool for the next 500 years until he is able to find the left eye, which resided inside his daughter. 480 years later, Antonio Redgrave found where Cereza was hidden and awoke her. He is immediatly killed by four Affinity sent by the corrupted Balder who became the theocratic ruler of Vigrid. Since this happen in Purgatorio, his son Luka Redgrave who withness the death of his father thinks that Cereza is the one who killed him.
20 years later, Cereza has no memories at all from her past except from confusing visions, she calls herself Bayonetta due to having no memory of her birth name. She is now working with Enzo and Rodin until she is able to find a lead that would help her understand her past. Enzo finds her a tip and she learn of Balder as some sort of elussive billionaire who shocked the black market by trying to sell a gemstone that he called the right eye of the world at an impossible price before retracting his offer once everyone knew that he resided in Vigrid. At this point Bayonetta tought the left eye was a stone she had with her so she believed that finding Balder would be a step in the right direction. Obviously this was a trap set up by Balder to have her come to him. Bayonetta immediatly meets Jeanne while learning about Enzo's lead and this reinforce her motivation to go to Vigrid as she has foggy memories about Jeanne's existence.
Once in the city, she realize that she is followed by Luka who wants to expose her to the world as revenge. She also beggins to hear Balder's voice in her head who seems to give her instructions on what to do to move closer to him. She faces the Audito, the closest Paradiso has as a leadership after both Jubileus and Rodin were incapacited. She also comes across a little girl calling herself Cereza. This Cereza is in fact a time traveling version of her younger self brought by Balder to make her remember her past. She eventually learn from the Audito she defeated that the man she is searching for is a Lumen Sage, all of which were supposed to be extinct according to legend. She also face the mind controlled Jeanne three times, which makes her recontextualize some of her memories.
She eventually reach Balder atop his tower, Balder explain to her that he needs the Eyes of the World, which they both possess inside themselves to bring back Jubileus and create a new unified world governed by light like it was in the distant past before the split of the Trinity of Realities. Since Balder seems to be a verry evil man who killed countless people over the past 500 years, Bayonetta sets out to kill him. She brings him down and earn Luka's apologies after her learned from the Sages himself that he killed his father. However after bringing Cereza back to her time, fate is altered and Bayonetta simingly isn't put to sleep by Jeanne during the war resulting in the duo fighting together for 500 years. This new influx of information awakens the left eye and knock out Bayonetta.
Balder then reveal that he wasn't dead and takes her unconscious body from Luka who is unable to do anything against the Sage. Balder then put himself and Bayonetta in a statue attached to a rocket that he plans to launch into space and serves as a vessel for a newly reborn Jubileus. Jeanne manages to free Bayonetta from the left eye socket and Jubileus is ressurected with only Balder as a power source. Bayonetta fights the incomplete God and manage to beat it by using her power with Jeanne's to summon a fully powered Queen Sheba, Jubileus's equivalent in Inferno. Jubileus' lifeless vessel crashes on Earth alongside the two witches.
Soon after Jubileus' defeat, Balder is seen dying next to the remains of the vessel. Loptr's soul tries to escape from his body but fails as the Lumen Sage now sane anew uses the last of his powers to trap the dark god inside himself for a second time and kill him alongside himself. An unspecified amount of time later, Bayonetta and Enzo are seen shopping when Jeanne arrives and warn her about the unatural state of both Inferno and Paradiso. As soon as she leaves, Bayonetta is immediatly attacked by angels and after recieving some new weapons from Rodin, she manages to fight them back. She then teams up with Jeanne to fight the stronger Belief and they eliminate him with Bayonetta's summon, Gomorrah. Gomorrah go berserk however due to the instability of the Trinity of Realities and tries to kill Bayonetta after getting rid of Belief. She is caught off guard and is saved by Jeanne who has her soul taken to Inferno as a result. Bayonetta eliminates the berserk demon and goes to Rodin who puts Jeanne's body on ice with his magic and tell her that she has little time remaining to get her soul back from Inferno.
Meanwhile, future Loptr summons past Balder and tells him about Loki tricking him into going after him to ger revenge for Rosa's death. Bayonetta heads to Noatun where the gates leading to Paradiso and Inferno are located. There she meets Luka who tells her about the legends surrounding Noatun and how it was once where Aesir, the equivalent to Jubileus and Sheba for the World of Chaos, lived. He also tells her that he was the God who created the eyes and gave free will to humanity before disappearing. Bayonetta soon runs into Loki who has lost his memories like she did in the past. Loki is still a child because his vessel seems to have been unable to mature due to him time traveling to the present 500 years ago to escape Loptr during the war. The two stick together and learn that the boy is ssought by angels following Loptr for something they call the "Sovereign Power".
Loki and Bayonetta have no idea habout what that is and kill those who stands in their way until they encounter Balder who wears a mask to hide his identity. He immediatly goes for the boy and Bayonetta defends him multiple times from his pursuer. The two decide to go to the Gates of Hell first since Bayonetta is on a time limit. Loki on the other hands still wants to go to Fimbulventr, the mountain said to hold the gates, but for reasons he cannot explain himself due to his missing memory. They eventually are sent to Inferno after opening the gates as a last resort to escape an encounter with both Loptr's astral projection and Balder. There she saves Jeanne's soul from Alraune and confronts the Masked Lumen one last time. He finally reveals that he is Balder without any idea that Bayonetta is his daughter 500 years into the future. The fight ends with Balder cornering Bayonetta and trying to kill her for constantly interupting his revenge quest. The fight is interupted by Loki who awakens some of his powers as Aesir and sent them back to Balder's time.
There Bayonetta teams up with Rosa and follows her during the great war until they are separated. She briefly confronts past Loptr as a child and realize that Balder was tricked. She then rejoin with Balder just in front of the room where they both now that Rosa was murdered. They rush in but realize that they have arrived just after past Balder was sent into the future by Loptr and thus they only find a dying Rosa and a child Loptr looming over her. Balder attacks him but he vanishes with a smile. Bayonetta tells him that this is not Loki as she has noticed that the mark on their forhead was different. The two then go back to Bayonetta's time now realizing that Loptr is the one who must be stopped. They face him but the dark God is too powerful and takes Loki's sovereign power, which allows him to control the Eyes of the World.
After that he casually dismiss his other half and takes the eyes from Balder and Bayonetta and becomes a purely evil Aesir. The due is unable to defeat him but decide to fight anyway for the sake of mankind. This leave enough time to Loki to set up his ultimate play. Loki prooves that Loptr is a fool by using Aesir's true power, which he overlooked in his quest for control over the world, to destroy the eyes. Indeed, Aesir's true power as described by Loki is that whichallows him to destroy anything from the world even the eyes that created it. Loki then announces that without the eyes, the world will perish unless humans are able to triumph here and claim the future for themselves. Bayonetta and Balder manage to summon a being of pure order called Omne through their familial bond and opposing elements. Omne destroys Loptr's body and only leave his soul. Loptr immediatly tries to return to another time to be reborn but he is stopped by Balder who traps him inside his body for the first time before been sent back in time. Since they have been working together, Balder finally realized that Bayonetta is Cereza and ask her to stop him when he will inevitably goes insane after going back to his time. Bayonetta tell him she wills, knowing that she already did. After Balder disappears, Loki tell her that he will also leave this world for a while and entrust it to her.
bayonetta is then seen back into her city where she is shopping with Jeanne. Luka is seen to have become some sort of temporary employye to Rodin as his bar is almost bankrupt and he needs it to stay open to continue to get tips from Rodin. They are soon interupted by another group of angels who have been following Enzo since the beginning of the game.
Super Smash Bros. series
Bayonetta was the final Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U DLC character and the winner of the Super Smash Bros. Ballot. She was in first place in Europe and was among the Top 5 in North America. Overall, among realizable characters, she was in first place worldwide. Her features are altered to be more normal and less sexualized due to the rating of that game. Her symbol is a crescent moon and a star. She returned in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate alongside every other characters from across the series.
Bayonetta is a very combo heavy character with all the moves being light but, continues into another attack. She has a bit of a slow startup before starting attacks, but she can do several attacks in similar. She also has Bullet Arts which she fires her guns when a button is held and deals extra damage like Fox's laser.
- Standard Special: Bullet Climax
- Side Special: Heel Slide / After Burner Kick
- Up Special: Witch Twist
- Down Special: Witch Time
- Final Smash: Infernal Climax
In addition to this, she has the ability called Bat Within to narrowly avoid taking a direct hit from an attack. She turns into bats and takes only a bit of damage.
Bayonetta has both her Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 costumes with each having a selection of four colors. One of the Bayonetta 2 costumes is in the color scheme of Jeanne.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
Like every other playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, she had multiple trophies made in her image. All of her trophies except one are shared between both versions. The one who is exclusive to one version is the trophy depicting her final smash, who like other Final Smash trophies is exclusive to the Wii U version.
- EU:"Bayonetta is one of the last of the long-extinct Umbra Witches clan. She's a master of the Bullet Arts, and can use her hair as a conduit to bring forth Infernal Demons. She brings all these skills and more to Smash, where if you hold down the attack button, she'll fire bullets at the enemy. They don't just do damage; they even work as a feint!"
- NA:"Bayonetta is one of the last of the near-extinct Umbra Witches clan. She's a master of the Bullet Arts and can use her hair as a conduit to bring forth Infernal Demons. She brings all these skills and more to Smash, where she'll unleash additional damage if you hold the attack button. Damage and distract your foes with this move!"
- "If you use Bayonetta's side special in midair, she'll do a diagonal kick upward that goes through platforms. If you press down just before doing the move, it'll turn into a downward attack! Plus, if you hit an enemy in midair, you can use the attack again before you hit the ground–great for combos and recoveries!"
- EU"This Umbra Witch awakens after hundreds of years without any memories of her past life. She spends her days with shenanigans like dressing as a nun to lure out angels to fight, until a witch with the same powers as her starts to slowly bring her memories back. As her memories return, she ends up embroiled in a battle to save the world!"
- NA:"This Umbra Witch awakens after hundreds of years without any memories of her past life. Usually Bayonetta spends her days pretending to be a nun to lure out angels, until a witch with the same powers as her starts to slowly bring her memories back. She ends up embroiled in a battle to save the world."
- "A small girl Bayonetta finds wandering the stronghold city of Vigrid with her stuffed toy, Chesire. For some reason, Cereza is convinced Bayonetta is her "mummy" and wants to be just like her. No human should be able to see angels, but somehow Cereza can..."
- "Before her Final Smash, Bayonetta encounters Witch Time, during which she can attack the enemy to fill her magic gauge. If it fills up, she summons the demon Gomorrah, who chomps down on the unfortunate foe! Keep pressing the button during Gomorrah's attack to increase damage. If it hits 100% the enemy will be instantly KO'd!"
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Like all playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate., Bayonetta has special Spirits called fighter spirits based on her. Unlike other Spirits, those don't have stats and cannot be used in battle. She has two sucj Spirits based on both her appearance in Bayonetta and her appearance in Bayonetta 2. Additionally, she has a third spirit, this time a novice support spirit, based on her child form that can be equipped to primary spirits.
|1,015||Cereza||★||1||Bunny Hood equipped||
- Bayonetta is the second Sega character to be playable in the Super Smash Bros. franchise, the first one being Sonic the Hedgehog.
- This makes her the second third-party character to be owned by a company who already have a representative, following Capcom's Ryu.
- She is the second character featured in Super Smash Bros. to appear in the M-rated games, the first one being Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid.
- They were later joined by Joker from Persona 5 in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Bayonetta's watch contains the numbers 14111219. It represents the year/month/date of Bayonetta's birthday, which is December 19, 1411.
- She is the first, and only, female third-party character in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Hideki Kamiya was offered to have her in Project X Zone 2, but he said no. He later regretted that decision.
|Playable characters||Bayonetta • Jeanne • Zero • Rosa • Rodin • Balder|
|Secondary characters||Enzo • Luka Redgrave • Umbran Elder • Queen Sheba • Madama Butterfly • Loki • Gomorrah • Malphas • Hekatoncheir • Labolas • Diomedes • Hydra • Baal • Scolopendra • Phantasmaraneae • Hekatoncheir • Omne • Mictlantecuhtli|
|Antagonists||Jubileus, The Creator • Balder • Fortitudo • Temperantia • Iustitia • Sapientia • Aesir, The God of Chaos • Loptr • Gomorrah • Insidious • Alraune • Glamor • Valor|