Banjo-Kazooie (JP) is a platforming video game for the Nintendo 64. The game was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo in 1998. The game's protagonists are Banjo the bear and Kazooie the bird on a quest to retrieve Banjo's kidnapped sister Tooty from the evil witch, Gruntilda.
Later, Banjo-Kazooie received a sequel entitled Banjo-Tooie, along with a game called Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge which came out three years after Banjo-Kazooie, but chronologically takes place in-between the two games.
Banjo-Kazooie is a action platformer in which you play as Banjo and Kazooie. There are nine open levels in which you gather musical notes, jiggles and jigsaw pieces. Banjo-kazooie sometimes get aided by their friend Mumbo Jumbo which can transform into several creatures.
- Banjo - the lovable bear that gets in trouble due to Kazooie. He can play the banjo.
- Kazooie - The disrespectful, troublemaking bird who lives in Banjo's backpack. She and Banjo are not separated until Banjo-Tooie. She can play the kazoo.
- Tooty - Banjo's adorable and very beautiful little sister. She gets kidnapped by Gruntilda.
- Mumbo Jumbo - Mumbo Jumbo is a wizard who changes Banjo and Kazooie into various animals (and a washing machine) to help them on their quest.
- Bottles the Mole - A mole who teaches you moves in the beginning of the game.
- Gruntilda (Grunty) - The ugly, evil witch who kidnaps Tooty to steal her beauty.
- Klungo - Grunty's loyal assistant.
- Spiral Mountain
- Gruntilda's Lair
- Mumbo's Mountain
- Treasure Trove Cove
- Clanker's Cavern
- Bubblegloop Swamp
- Freezeezy Peak
- Gobi's Valley
- Mad Monster Mansion
- Rusty Bucket Bay
- Click Clock Wood
Banjo-Kazooie was re-released on Xbox Live Arcade on December 3, 2008. In this version, the dialog was altered to account for the Xbox 360 controller. Also, all Nintendo-related graphics were replaced with Microsoft graphics, and the walking Nintendo 64 graphic on the intro disappeared.. Otherwise, the game remained unchanged.
Due to Microsoft's purchase of Rare, and thus the rights to all Rare franchises, Banjo-Kazooie cannot come on the Virtual Console download service. However, Nintendo has announced that there is hope that other Rare games, which has rights doesn't belong to Microsoft, will come to the Virtual Console sometime in the future. A good example of one of these games is Donkey Kong 64, since Nintendo still has copyright to the Donkey Kong series.
|Titles||Banjo-Kazooie • Banjo-Tooie • Grunty's Revenge • Banjo-Pilot|
|Main characters||Banjo • Kazooie • Gruntilda • Tooty • Bottles • Mumbo Jumbo • Brentilda • Klungo|
|Banjo-Kazooie||Mumbo's Mountain • Treasure Trove Cove • Clanker's Cavern • Bubblegloop Swamp • Freezeezy Peak • Gobi's Valley • Mad Monster Mansion • Rusty Bucket Bay • Click Clock Wood • Spiral Mountain • Gruntilda's Lair • Grunty's Furnace Fun • Top of the Tower|
|Banjo-Tooie||Mayahem Temple • Glitter Gulch Mine • Witchyworld • Jolly Roger's Lagoon • Terrydactyland • Grunty Industries • Hailfire Peaks • Cloud Cuckooland • Cauldron Keep • Spiral Mountain • Isle o' Hags • Gruntilda's Lair|
|Grunty's Revenge||Spiral Mountain • Cliff Farm • Breegull Beach • Bad Magic Bayou • Spiller's Harbor • Freezing Furnace • Grunty's Castle|