Avalanche Software is a video game development company that specialized in producing games on home console platforms. The company was formed in October 1995 by four lead programmers from Sculptured Software. Over the years, Avalanche grew slowly but steadily, and employed more than 100 people.
When the company was young, they concentrated on porting games to console platforms. As time has passed, they created a set of proprietary tools to develop games for multiple platforms simultaneously. Avalanche produced games for every major platform since 1995, including the Super Nintendo, N64, PC, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2 and Xbox.
On April 19, 2005, Buena Vista Games announced to have acquired the studio. In 2011, Avalanche became an internal development studio of Disney Interactive Studios located in Salt Lake City, Utah. Next to many titles based on Disney licenses, in its last year the studio was best known for developing the Disney Infinity franchise. On May 10, 2016, Disney announced the studio would be closed.
On January 24, 2017, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced it had acquired the studio from Disney, including its Octane engine software, and re-opened the studio, with Blackburn returning as its CEO. The studio's first title under their new owner was Cars 3: Driven to Win, a companion game based on the Cars 3 film.
List of Games developed
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)
- Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (N64)
- Off Road Challenge (N64)
- Rampage 2: Universal Tour (N64)
- Rugrats in Paris: The Movie (N64)
- NCAA College Football 2K3 (GC)
- Rugrats: Royal Ransom
- Tak and the Power of Juju
- Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams
- Dragon Ball Z Sagas
- Tak: The Great Juju Challenge
- Disney's Chicken Little (GC)
- Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action (Wii)
- Disney's Meet the Robinsons (GC)
- Disney Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour (Wii)
- Bolt (Wii)
- Toy Story 3 (Wii)
- Disney Infinity (Wii/Wii U)
- Disney Infinity 2.0 Edition (Wii U)
- Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition (Wii U)
- Cars 3: Driven to Win (Wii U/Switch)