Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival (JP) is a board game spinoff of the Animal Crossing series for the Wii U. It ultilizes amiibo as the player pieces with Happy Home Designer's amiibo cards activating minigames. The many events and activities of Animal Crossing are incorporated as board events. The game can be downloaded for free on the Wii U eShop and the physical version is bundled with 2 amiibo figures and a few amiibo cards
The main game is a lite version of Mario Party. Players travel around a board generating happiness and Bells with the former being worth much more in the end. The players move by rolling a dice via tapping their amiibo. Depending on the space they land on, an event will occur based on events in the games and gain or lose stuff respective to the space their landed on. Instead of different boards, the players play in different months with different village-wide events.
The game supports all the Animal Crossing series figures. These are the player characters:
- Isabelle (Winter)
- Tom Nook
- K.K. Slider
- Timmy & Tommy Nook
- Isabelle (Summer)
After finishing a game, the happy points can be stored on an amiibo to unlock customizations for future games.
Card & Minigames
The game is compatible with all series of Animal Crossing series amiibo cards. They are mainly used in minigames. There are 8 of which in total, listed below:
- Desert Island Escape: The player controls three villagers, chosen with amiibo cards, on a desert island. Every villager has a different set of skills and special abilities. The main goal is to build a raft to escape the island while avoiding starvation. This mode was later added to Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
- Acorn Chase: Three villagers collect acorns in a garden while trying to avoid an out of control Tortimer lawn mower.
- Quiz Show: Up to four players answer questions that test their Animal Crossing knowledge.
- Balloon Island: amiibo cards will pop balloons for points before landing on an island to multiply these points.
- Mystery Campers: The player uses six amiibo cards to guess which four cards in the tents.
- Fruit Path: Up to four players collect fruit on a path.
- amiibo Card Battle: Players use their amiibo cards to battle it out. The winner is based on the card's roll value and star sign.
- Resetti Bop: Three amiibo cards are used to hit Mr. Resetti balloons with hammers.
The game was panned by critics. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival got "generally unfavorable" reviews receiving a metascore of 46/100 based on 20 critics.
|Main article: Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival/gallery|
- Metascore of Animal Crossing: Amiibo FestivalMetacritic, Retrieved February 13, 2020